Not having to follow our Lenten fasts on Sundays

• Thread starter Thread starter AServantofGod
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AServantofGod

Our priest said that Sundays are for celebrating. Because of this we are absolved of any Lenten obligations on Sundays (i.e. if I gave up sweets for Lent I can still eat them on Sunday).

Is this a new idea aimed at those of us who can’t hang on for 40 days?

Is this his own idea?

Is this an old idea?

Just where does this come from?

40.png
AServantofGod:
Our priest said that Sundays are for celebrating. Because of this we are absolved of any Lenten obligations on Sundays (i.e. if I gave up sweets for Lent I can still eat them on Sunday).

Is this a new idea aimed at those of us who can’t hang on for 40 days?

Is this his own idea?

Is this an old idea?

Just where does this come from?
I’m not sure where this idea came from, but I’ve heard it most of my life…from priests and other religious. I guess the idea behind it is that the Sabbath really is a day of rest…even from Lenten obligations. And…if you count the 40 days, from Ash Wednesday to Easter, you need to omit Sundays in order to make it come out right.
Bottom line: follow your heart!

**Q: **Last year my Catholic co-workers and I disagreed over whether Sundays are considered part of Lent. Each year I give up sweets for Lent, but I have always understood that I could eat them on Sundays during Lent. Some of my co-workers disagree. With Lent starting soon, I would like to know who is right on this issue.

A:
Technically, Sundays are not part of Lent. Although we celebrate them liturgically as part of Lent, the Lord’s Day cannot be a day of fast and abstinence. Six weeks of Monday through Saturday gives you 36 days. If you add to them Ash Wednesday and the three days after it, you get the 40 days of Lent. Some people may find it easier to “give up” something for the entire time between Ash Wednesday and Easter, but you are correct in saying that Sundays are not part of the 40 days.

You can click on the lik below for more Q & A on Lent,
americancatholic.org/Features/Lent/faqs.asp

I agree with the above. As far as I’ve always understood, Sundays are considered feast days by the Church.

A couple of years ago I heard someone say Sundays are not part of Lent. I had no idea what she was talking about. Started to research and the answer I liked best explained it like this.

Lent is a time of penance and sacrifice. Sundays should always be a day of celebration of the Resurrection of Our Lord. And if you “count” the days on the calendar, Sundays literally don’t “count”.

The kids in my Religious Education Classes love telling their parents this one. 😃

God Bless,
Maria

Wow! Everybody says it’s O.K., and you guys have provided resources. I never heard of this until I was an adult. We just stuck it out the entire 40 days. Did I get a partial indulgence or anything for that?

40.png
AServantofGod:
Wow! Everybody says it’s O.K., and you guys have provided resources. I never heard of this until I was an adult. We just stuck it out the entire 40 days. Did I get a partial indulgence or anything for that?
Actually…you stuck it out for more than 40 days. You get an extra helping of Chocolate cake for 2 months. 😃 😉

Actually…you stuck it out for more than 40 days. You get an extra helping of Chocolate cake for 2 months. 😃 😉
Exactly! Lent IS 40 days. Go to your calendar. Court all the days between Ash Wednesday and Easter. Now do it again leaving out Sundays. 40 is the number only when you don’t count Sundays.

As for the chocolate cake, please, eat some for me too!

God Bless,
Maria

Sundays have always been a day more for celebrating, because we remember Jesus’ resurrection than, and Fridays especially have always been a day for mourning our sins, because that is when we remember Christ’s Passion, when He died on the Cross for us. You can if you choose still give up your stuff on Sunday, a friend told me you get extra graces if you include Sunday in your fast also. I don’t know though, its really up to the individual. You don’t have to give stuff up on Sunday, but if you want to you can.

God Bless

40.png
Marie:
Hooray!!!:clapping:

Sorry folks, but according to the Ask an Apologist forum, Sunday is part of Lent. Personally I love the season of Lent and find it easier to give up something completely rather than to indulge on one day of the week. Maybe I love it since I’m just converting? 😃

Ask an Apologist: When does Lent end?

I think my favorite part of Lent is the Stations of the Cross, which I experienced last year during a significant moment in my conversion process. Sadly, my parish only has them on Good Friday this year. sigh Well, there’s always EWTN radio.

God bless,
Lily628

Dear Lily,

From the apologist in the link you provided:
Voluntary penances can be voluntarily set aside, so if your students wish to take a break from them on Sundays in honor of the Lord’s Day, that is perfectly fine.
I agree with you, though, that when we break our lenten resolves in order to celebrate just on Sundays, it is much harder to go back to it. That little enjoyment opens the door for future temptations to indulge ourselves also on weekdays. The only thing that works for me is cold turkey! :yup:

Sundays are part of Lent, but they are not part of the fast. That is my understanding of the Church’s long tradition. I submit my intellect and will to this proposition.

The only thing I (still) find unsatisfactory about this reckoning is: Then ought we not to have begun Lent on Ash Tuesday this year, since the Solemnity of St Joseph (19-Mar) ought likewise not be part of the fast? (and Ash Monday in some other years, when the Solemnity of the Annunciation falls prior to Easter)

Living Lent in the Fast Lane,
tee

I’ve never heard anyone invent Ash Tuesday or Monday. Is this backed by any liturgical calendar?

40.png
katolik:
I’ve never heard anyone invent Ash Tuesday or Monday. Is this backed by any liturgical calendar?
I made those up. But if Sundays are not counted in the fast, due to their festal nature (which I do believe), why are the solemnites of St Joseph and the Annunciation (when it falls during Lent) counted?

tee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back