Nova Vulgata from Paxbook.com

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mattjolley
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mattjolley

Guest
Anyone own this? How big is it? I am looking into getting one in the hope of learning Latin and I’m interested in what it is like first. Can anyone email me a sample page/scan or something through a PM?

Matt
 
Anyone own this? How big is it? I am looking into getting one in the hope of learning Latin and I’m interested in what it is like first. Can anyone email me a sample page/scan or something through a PM?

Matt
I appreciate the fact that you hope to learn Latin. After many discussions about the Vulgate on this forum and my own research, I have come to a conclusion. This is the first time that I have seen the Nova Vulgata in print form. I had read some from the Vatican’s website. I would recommend that you get a copy of the Clementine Vulgate from lulu.com or get the Douay-Rheims/Clementine Vulgate from baroniuspress.com. I am a stickler for some verses such as 1:28. You will notice the difference in Clementine from the Nova Vulgata. I suggest you read the Clementine instead of the Nova Vulgata. I will try to however see what I can do about a finding a sample page.
 
I am a stickler for some verses such as 1:28.
This is the thing, it comes down to personal preference. Thats why I asked about the particular edition in my first post, because thats what I’m after.

I’m familiar with Baronius’ edition, but I would rather employ Holy Mother Church’s latest edition of the Vulgate in my studies, despite some people’s issues with it.

Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut however Toby:thumbsup:

Matt
 
If you are interested in learning Biblical Latin, you might want to use my site:
sacredbible.org/studybible/index.htm
which has a line of Latin (Clementine Vulgate) followed by a line of my English fairly literal translation.

The Nova Vulgata has a number of problems:
  1. some sections are merely a light edit of the Clementine, whereas other sections substantially rephrase the text
  2. The rephrased sections are based more on the Greek or Hebrew than on the Latin Scriptural tradition; the light edit sections are not
  3. Some political correctness and some influence from modern sinful culture has resulted in the wording in a few places being changed without any basis in any manuscripts
  4. the loosely rephrased sections are not suitable as the source text for any translation
  5. the requirement that translations use the Neo-Vulgate to settle any disputed or obscure points of translation is meant to keep the preeminence of the Latin Scriptural tradition (as decided by Trent), but some sections of the Neo-Vulgate are based on the Hebrew or Greek, and other sections are based on the Latin.
 
If you are interested in learning Biblical Latin, you might want to use my site:
sacredbible.org/studybible/index.htm
which has a line of Latin (Clementine Vulgate) followed by a line of my English fairly literal translation.

The Nova Vulgata has a number of problems:
  1. some sections are merely a light edit of the Clementine, whereas other sections substantially rephrase the text
  2. The rephrased sections are based more on the Greek or Hebrew than on the Latin Scriptural tradition; the light edit sections are not
  3. Some political correctness and some influence from modern sinful culture has resulted in the wording in a few places being changed without any basis in any manuscripts
  4. the loosely rephrased sections are not suitable as the source text for any translation
  5. the requirement that translations use the Neo-Vulgate to settle any disputed or obscure points of translation is meant to keep the preeminence of the Latin Scriptural tradition (as decided by Trent), but some sections of the Neo-Vulgate are based on the Hebrew or Greek, and other sections are based on the Latin.
Why did the translators of the Nova Vulgata feel that these changes were necessary?? Could they have did minor updating to the Clementine without dimmishing its tradition?? Where they trying to adhere to Pope Pius XII “Divino Afflante Spiritu”?
 
Can someone explain the diffrence between the two copies of the NV availalable on the paxbook site, one titled

Bibliorum Sacrorum Nova Vulgata editio minor

the other

Bibliorum Sacrorum Nova Vulgata editio maior

Is it just the size?

The ‘edition maior’ is 2 dollars cheaper so i dunno:shrug:

Matt
 
just bumping this as 12 months later I’m looking at finally getting one of these. If anyone could help with some good photos and a scan of a page, it’d be great. Also cna anyone clear up the difference between the two Paxbook versions?
 
just bumping this as 12 months later I’m looking at finally getting one of these. If anyone could help with some good photos and a scan of a page, it’d be great. Also cna anyone clear up the difference between the two Paxbook versions?
// from what it is stated on the paxbook.com site, the “editio maior” is 17 x 24 cm. while the “editio minor” is 14 x 19.5 cm. …so yes one is bigger and the other one is smaller…

// you should contact them and ask them for more information…
 
Anyone own this? How big is it? I am looking into getting one in the hope of learning Latin and I’m interested in what it is like first. Can anyone email me a sample page/scan or something through a PM?

Matt
I own the Vulgate you’re talking about - at least I think I have the same one. It costs about $85 now if I am not mistaken. It has a light gray paper cover. It is a chunky book. You’re probably not going to be inclined to carry it around with you.

I can give you exact measurements in a few hours when I get home.
 
Anyone own this? How big is it? I am looking into getting one in the hope of learning Latin and I’m interested in what it is like first. Can anyone email me a sample page/scan or something through a PM?

Matt
Oh, looks like someone already beat me to it (giving you measurements).
 
I own the Vulgate you’re talking about - at least I think I have the same one. It costs about $85 now if I am not mistaken. It has a light gray paper cover. It is a chunky book. You’re probably not going to be inclined to carry it around with you.

I can give you exact measurements in a few hours when I get home.
I’ll hopefully be getting the hardback ‘Maior’ version. Thanks though!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top