Novena to the holy spirit/help

• Thread starter Thread starter eeurogirly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eeurogirly

I have been trying to listen to the Holy Spirit during my personal Novena,and at times alone,I felt a very peaceful feeling in my heart.
Now I am asking for counsel and it is just driving me crazy listening,trying to sort out what exactly to listen to or for.
Any advice on getting to know the Holy Spirit?Thanks

40.png
eeurogirly:
I have been trying to listen to the Holy Spirit during my personal Novena,and at times alone,I felt a very peaceful feeling in my heart.
Now I am asking for counsel and it is just driving me crazy listening,trying to sort out what exactly to listen to or for.
Any advice on getting to know the Holy Spirit?Thanks
Holy Spirit speaks and guides by His own will at His time, not in a certain time or in prayer time only. Sometimes He speaks through daily life experience. Most of the time I feel that He speaks through scriptures that relates to daily activity in a very personal way.

Holy Spirit gifts and it’s fruits are all God’s grace. And if you ask God for His guidance, He will give you your Counsel, a Defender —> this is what we call the Holy Spirit. His guidance is God’s, and He will make one stronger and defends him from any danger and accusations of the ‘enemy’, those often speak and try to bring one down through daily life too. The Holy Spirit teach us that we are “worthy in God’s eyes”, and takes away the feeling of “unworthyness” the world tries to plant in us. This feeling of “worthiness” makes one stronger and stronger in God.

God bless you.

Authenticity, a Biblical Theology of Discernment, by Thomas Dubay SM, from Ignatius Press, synthesizes the classical Catholic Spiritual writers, especially Ignatius and John of the Cross, on discernment, which is how we decide if we are being led by the Holy Spirit, or by our own inclinations and desires. He gives the firm scriptural foundation for this process, and the principles for recognizing signs of the Spirit. A learned book for scholars and spiritual directors, and also for those in need of spiritual direction.

Feeling at peace when you are alone is a good sign, though not always a guarantee. Read scripture - especially the gospels. If you read a section - maybe a few sentences from - the Sermon on the Mount - and it makes sense and you don’t lose that feeling of peace - then that is a very good sign that the Holy Spirit is near.

Be patient. Don’t stop trying.

Peace
-jim

Just for fun…last night picked a Psalm and put my finger there. I then asked my wife to pick the first Psalm God puts on her heart. Without hesitation she picks “Psalm 42” the very Psalm I chose! It was kind of a “Holy Spirit moment”! Peace

The little booklet “Novena to the Holy Spirit - Help Me to Know You”, by George E. Schulhoff A. H. S. is one I have used to make this novena. It contains many beautiful meditations to be made each day in asking for the gifts of the Holy Spirit: Wisdom, knowledge, understanding, counsel, fortitude, and piety. It has a Nihil obstat and Imprimatur.

The author says he has practiced this devotion from the age of five to the present day (76 years).

The booklet can be obtained from Apostles of the Holy Spirit, 2709 Woodburn Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45206, which is the address given on the booklet.

God bless you.

Anthony,that’s the booklet I have been working with-I like it,I am just confused about a few things-it says that this Novena can never be exhausted,yet is has things like the second day,when you are supposed to have cheated and looked ahead.Well,I exhausted that the first time around…
I guess I have got to be patient.Thanks!

Don’t give up. Remember the parable that Jesus told about the widow who finally got a judge to give her what she wanted through perseverance and patience? He also told other parables on the same theme.

Yes,like the one where a friend comes to the door and aks for bread in the middle of the night,but his owner’s family is already asleep and he doesn’t want to open the door.

In the end it is persistance…Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back