Novena to the Holy Spirit/Help!

• Thread starter Thread starter eeurogirly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eeurogirly

I have been trying to listen to the Holy Spirit during my personal Novena,and at times alone,I felt a very peaceful feeling in my heart.
Now I am asking for counsel and it is just driving me crazy listening,trying to sort out what exactly to listen to or for.
Any advice on getting to know the Holy Spirit?Thanks

wow! Awesome question. I have found myself praying specifically for a clear understanging/knowledge of God’s will for my life.

The whole thing boils down to God’s will for your life. Are you ready to abandon YOUR will? Always? I found that for a while, I was only turning my will over when it was easy. Then the Holy Spirit directed me into some harder challenges. I fought them for a while - because they were demanding and challenging, asking me to give up certian worldly pleasures - attend mass more, etc.

It was when I finally gave in to His will, that things started getting a bit easier for me. Like a wall was removed. Mind you, it’s only a bit easier - but I’ll take those baby steps to God’s blessing.

But you need to ask I think. Asking for the Holy Spirit to be clear, praying for discernment ( one of His fruits), and staying close to the sacraments is a great thing.

And I’ll pray for you too!

Jrabs

Quick context question: Are you/have you considered attending a life in the spirit seminiar?

When we first begin listening for God to speak to us through his spirit on a regular basis, it gets kind of confusing. We sit there, our brains in silence, and every stray little thought that wanders by we jump on, “Was that it? Was that you God?” And being we have busy minds, this gets very, very confusing and distracting.

Luckily, God doesn’t usually speak to us with funny voices in our heads. He speaks to us in the language of love and compassion.

What works best for me is to find time to be alone in God’s presence. Invite the Holy Spirit to talk to you in the time he chooses, and ask him to not only allow you to hear his voice, but to heed his voice. Then, instead of monitoring your every thought and attempting to discern its source, just lay joyfully in the silent presence of the lord.

Should the Holy Spirit want to speak to me in this situation, I find my mind wanders to a very specific topic and stays there. Or I think of a very specific person for a length of time, with a feeling of love or compassion.

Basically what I’m trying to say is don’t wait for a magic thought to suddenly appear in your mind. Just be with God and love God. And as you grow to be with him as a friend, you’ll learn to understand what he’s trying to say at any given moment, just like you can with a close friend. Not by words, but by feelings. It takes time. I’m only beginning to learn.

Josh

I would like to clarify that by feelings, I don’t mean emotions. Emotions get in the way of hearing God. By feelings, I mean our souls desire to love and serve others, and to be with God.

I would also like to affirm the poster before me, that all this is based off the necessity of being willing to give your ENTIRE will over to the Holy Spirit, and do whatever he wants at the moment he wants, and promising your entire life to him, making an active conversion to him.

Josh

Jrabs,I guess that giving up would be the easy thing to do,and I am very close sometimes,getting discouraged,but I can’t give up.It’s confusing sometimes and so hurtful when you keep doing wrong things,watch yourself doing them,like being mean to others,but can’t stop.

Thanks for your prayers!I will pray to him to reveal himself more clearly.

Three Ic,

thanks for you clear answer-it seems that it really boils down to inviting him into my quiet times,and mostly being PATIENT,and not overanalyzing.I will try that from now on.Thanks for your insight.
How do I attend a seminar like the one you mentioned?Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back