Novenas

• Thread starter Thread starter CheesusPowerKid
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CheesusPowerKid

Hello again,

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me exactly what a novena is and how to say one…I know some things about them, but I’m having trouble putting it all together:) Thanks, God bless,

In Him,
Britty

A novena is primarily a series of public or private prayers extending over nine consecutive days, especially nine days preceding a feast. They often carry an indulgence.

More rarely, a novena extends over any nine days, as nine consecutive Mondays or nine first Fridays of the month. By extension, especially in America, the term is used for a regular series of prayers, e.g., a “perpetual novena” occurring every Friday. Novenas are made especially in honor of the saints to ask their intercession for certain benefits. They are frequent in honor of the Virgin Mary.

Here’s a list of some wonderful novena’s:
ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/novena.htm

Here in the Philippines there is a novena to the Infant Jesus which is nine consecutive hours at the same time in one day.

Also here in the philippines there is also a novena to Our Lady of Perpetual Help every Wednesday.

I belong to a novena group that prays eight consecutive novenas. Four in petition, four in thanksgiving. The members of the group pray for each others’ intentions. They either say the rosary or meditate on the day’s scripture readings (or both) along with praying to the Holy Spirit and for the intentions.

A novena is a nine-day period of private or public prayer to obtain special graces, to implore special favors, or make special petitions. (Novena is derived from the Latin novem, meaning nine.) It’s precise history is unclear, but we do know that the earliest Christians used novenas. One possibility of its significance is Acts 1:12-14, in which the apostles and Mary prayed for nine days before the descent of the Holy Spirit. There are several types of novenas, but they can easily be divided into four categories: preparation, mourning, indulgenced, and prayer. Novenas are commonly used in preparation for feast days, and its earliest documented use is in mourning. Some novenas grant partial indulgence, while some are merely focused on prayer.

Here is the Catholic Encyclopedia article: newadvent.org/cathen/11141b.htm

40.png
patrick456:
Also here in the philippines there is also a novena to Our Lady of Perpetual Help every Wednesday.
Is this the one at Baclaran?

Yeah… never been there (just passed on the road facing it when going to Batangas).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back