Objections to Divine Mercy Chaplet?

• Thread starter Thread starter AngelicDoctor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AngelicDoctor

We all have heard a multitude of objections to the Rosary stemming from misunderstandings of Marian doctrine, mediation, and “vain” repetition. I was curious whether anyone has ever heard a non-Catholic object to the Divine Mercy Chaplet for any reason (one of my favorite devotions). I guess the repetition charge could still come up (though, of course, repetition in prayer is sanctioned in Scripture), but has anyone heard of any objections to the prayers themselves? To those unfamiliar, here is the devotion:
  1. (one time each) Our Father…, Hail Mary,… Apostle’s Creed
  2. Large beads (one time): “Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.”
  3. Small beads (10 times): “For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and all the whole world.”
  4. End with (3 times): “Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One–Have mercy on us and on the whole world.”
I find this prayer very conducive to meditation and petition for my own sins and those of the whole world. Does anyone object to it?

Since I too love the Divine Mercy Chaplet, I personally have no objection to it, nor have I heard anyone suggest an objection, but I would imagine, as you suppose, that there are those who would find it objectionable, based on their mistaken understanding of what Christ did for us at Calvary.

He died on the Cross as the single sacrifice sufficient to attone for our sins, the one and only sacrifice acceptable to God. On this we all agree, but they, without understanding the concept of “works” fail to see that we are all called to follow Christ in each and every one of His steps. That the example of His life was meant to be followed by those of us who love Him with our whole hearts.

This means, we need to be willing to love Him enough to suffer so that we may be better conformed to the will of Our Father. We need to follow Him in His respect and honor for Mary, His Mother, Mary, the Mother of God.

We need to be willing to follow His example of humbling Himself to the Fathers who went to heaven before His time on Earth, as He spoke with Moses and Elijah at the Transfiguration. God gave Moses the Law and He gave Prophesy to Elijah. Was Jesus discussing with them that they were now irrelevant, that He came to make all the previous communications between God and Man old school.

If so, why would Paul have exhorted Timothy to understand that All scripture is profitable, at a time when this referred to the Old Testament?

This prayer leaves us with a bit of a conundrum, if we refuse to accept Mary as worthy of honor, merely by nature of her being Christ’s mother, if for none of the other incredible things we know of her, for it asks us to pray the “Hail Mary”.

We will have problems if we don’t accept the possibility that repetition of prayer is not always the same as vain repetition, for didn’t Christ, while praying at Gethsemene, pray repeatedly during the course of 3 hours, while the Apostles slept. Certainly one can repeat a request without doing so in vain, for God, our Father loves us very much and a heartfelt prayer is never in vain, as all Love for Him is good and all prayer which retains and reflects that Love cannot be vain.

Is it possible for someone to say the Rosary in vain, or even the Divine Mercy Chaplet? Yes, if it’s being said merely for the hope of receiving the promises attached without any underlying understanding of God and no Love for Him, it could conceivably be reduced to a superstitious act, in which case, it would be a gross act and vain indeed. But this does not begin to describe the passion I have for Christ when I pray.

And more specific to the Divine Mercy Chaplet, it assumes that God’s mercy would respond to our prayers and that Christ’s sacrifice alone was not sufficient to ensure the salvation of the whole world.

Well, I don’t know, but I’d say that we haven’t had Heaven decend upon the world just yet, and we’re 2000 years after the fact of His most worthy sacrifice. People continue to sin, even as we know that God wills that all come to Him, even as we know that Jesus loves us, 'cause the Bible tells us so. So what’s missing? Our cooperating with His plan, just as Adam and Eve failed to cooperate, Jesus and Mary did cooperate. Now it’s our turn.

We need to cooperate with the Will of God. We need to accept that we, of our own power, are not sufficient to merit the rewards of eternal life, but that if we are willing to humble ourselves, to accept Christ as our Savior and to suffer the cross in our daily lives, if we imitate what His life contained, we can obtain the promises of Christ. And if each and every one of us animate the Body of Christ, according to His will, rather than our own, miracles will never cease.

CARose

I pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet every single day. I think it is one of the most beutiful prayers. I love to sing both versions. Its wild, I can be at work and I catch myself humming the tune. We pray for mercy not only for ourselves but for the whole world. I dont find anything objectional about that.

When I first started to watch EWTN online, I heard the Divine Mercy Chaplet for the very first time in my life.

My computer is in my bedroom and I often keep it on EWTN all night long. Early one morning I was awakened with the most awesome prayer in song that I had ever heard. This chaplet gives me the shivers and I can almost feel the singers/prayers reverance and love inside my soul.

I have a question though… someone above said that there are promises attached to this Chaplet? Could someone tell me more about this?

I don’t think you are going to hear any objections to the Divine Mercy Chaplet in the same sense that you hear them for the Rosary at this point because this is not as well known if it is known at all among Protestants being that it is still fairly “new.” -Mfaustina1

Mfaustina1, I think that is a good point. The Divine Mercy Chaplet is far less known to Protestants than the Rosary is, and it is a far younger tradition.
CARose–that is all a beautiful insight. As you brought up the possible objection (which of course is not valid) about the finished work of the Cross, this is what I might anticipate from a non-Catholic’s objection. However, I would repsond to such an objection that what is true of the Mass is true also of this Chaplet.

This is also a way (of couse, not anywhere near on the same level of importance–being a devotional and not the central sacrament of the Church) of re-presenting and spiritually entering into the once-and-for-all sacrifice at Calvary. When I pray the Chaplet, think of “holding up” Christ crucified on the Cross before the Father, presenting the sacrificial gift that he gave of His only begotten Son, and asking him to continue to make efficacious the work that Christ did on the Cross, … to make the grace that poured out come to life in the hearts of everyone everywhere in the world. When I point to the Cross, this prayer can be penitential (acknowledging my own sin and need for atonement) and also one of praise and thanksgiving.

Personally, I think that this would be a great devotion for Protestants and or neo-Catholics who are new to “praying with beads” and who still find the Rosary (or any repetitive prayer) a bit of a stumbling block.

I was just curious if the subject of this Chaplet ever came up in an exchange between Christians.

40.png
Mfaustina1:
I don’t think you are going to hear any objections to the Divine Mercy Chaplet in the same sense that you hear them for the Rosary at this point because this is not as well known if it is known at all among Protestants being that it is still fairly “new.” -Mfaustina1
Hey, you said what I was going to say!!!

I work with mainly protestants and I have mentioned the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. They look at me like I am from Mars. My says, “You Catholics have too many rules” I have exlained this to him, the difference between a devotion and an obligation. He still says the same thing. :confused:

As an ex-Protestant (evangelical), I cannot see how any evangelical, fundamental, Pentecostal, or non-denominational Protestant could accuse any prayer of being “repetitious.”

The current trend in these churches is what I call the “Twenty Minute Worship Workout.” Pentecostal denoms have been doing this for years, and all the others listed above have borrowed it.

During the TMWW, the congregation sings “Praise Choruses,” often repeating phrases or whole stanzas dozens of times. Meanwhile, the Praise and Worship team and the easy rock band improvise variations on the melody.

I recently attended a Protestant meeting where the phrase, “I will praise the Lord in the sanctuary” was repeated 41 times during the TTMW.

The absolute best example of reptitious choruses is a song in which the phrase, “Yes, Lord” is repeated literally dozens of times. Not a bad phrase. But repetitious. Just like the Rosary, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, etc.

And just because Protestants have heard of Rosary doesn’t mean they know anything about it. I explained the Rosary to a Methodist last week. All she knew is that they say a prayer with it, but she had no idea what prayer, and she didn’t know that we meditate on the Mysteries of the Life of Christ.

And believe me, NO Protestant has heard of the other Devotions or Chaplets, unless they have Catholics in the family.

BTW, Protestants have used beads for years–a lot of kids make what they call “Good News Bracelets.” I believe that Child Evangelism Fellowship came up with the idea. The beads vary, but there is usually a black bead (we have sinned), a red bead (Jesus died for us), a white bead (Jesus forgives our sins and makes us “white as snow”) a yellow bead (we’ll go to heaven and walk on streets of gold) and a green bead (we need to grow as Christians by reading God’s word, going to church, and praying).

40.png
Loboto-Me:
I have a question though… someone above said that there are promises attached to this Chaplet? Could someone tell me more about this?
Our Lord said to Saint Faustina:
Encourage souls to say the Chaplet which I have given you…Whoever will recite it will receive great mercy at the hour of death. When they say this chaplet in the presence of the dying, I will stand between My Father and the dying person, not as the just Judge, but as the Merciful Savior.
Priests will recommend it to sinners as their last hope of salvation. Even if there were a sinner most hardened, if he were to recite this chaplet only once, he would receive grace from My infinite mercy.
I desire to grant unimaginable graces to those souls who trust in My mercy. Through the Chaplet you will obtain everything, if what you ask for is compatible with My will.
(St Faustina’s diary 687,1541,1731)

I find this very interesting… One of my Evangelical Fundementalist left the Faith friends has no objection to the Divine Mercy! The arguement used to be “prattling on as the pagans do”. I told her I was praying my Scripture when I pray the rosary…not much was said after that.

I think the key here is “Mary”…why it there such defiance and disrespect for the Mother of God??? Annunciata:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back