obligation to vote

• Thread starter Thread starter slywakka250
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slywakka250

are we obligated to vote in every single election, such as every election for city consul. this is the first year that I’m elegible, and I missed voting in the primary election for my city. I’m at school so I don’t know if I am going to be able to get home to register to vote for our city mayor and counsul members. I’ve yet to figure out how to register and all of that as well. it is worrying me a lot because I don’t want this to be mortal sin. is it serious sin not to vote in an election when we can vote? how far must we go to vote in every single election?? I don’t have much time, so I don’t know what to do.

It is certainly not a mortal sin to not vote. It would take unique circumstances to even make it a venial sin. If anything it would probably be more sinful to vote while being uninformed.

That being said, you should make the effort to vote. Becoming informed enough to make an intelligent does not take a grandiose amount of time or energy. Voting is the outlet through which change comes, so supporting the right candidate is important. I suppose it could possibly be important to the point of becoming necessity, but that could be a stretch.

In short, it won’t be a sin to not vote, but you should try to make it a habit so that you can be a factor in promoting justice.

I tell my kids that if they choose not to vote they don’t really have the right to complain about the government they get, national or local.

it is certainly not a mortal sin not to vote, but if you live in Texas please vote tomorrow for Prop 2 to save marriage and family in this state.

I have real mixed emotions about this topic. I have always been taught that we are to do our civil duty and vote. Yet Jesus had nothing to do with the political situation of his day.

bauerice
Except when He said “Render to Caesar that which is Caesar’s”. I don’t believe the Romans gave conquered races the opportunity to vote for who ruled them. I have always taken that verse to mean “government” or “civil authority”.

My Dad told me that if we don’t exercise our right to vote, then eventually it would be taken away from us. Use it or lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back