Ocd’s intrusive thoughts and sin

• Thread starter Thread starter elizagscott
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elizagscott

hello everyone! i know this may be a bit of an odd question, but it’s really been bugging me lately and i just wanted to ask it.
i have ocd, or obsessive compulsive disorder, and one of the things that happens when you have this is thoughts about things you don’t want to think about, they cross your mind unintentionally and you can’t shake them, not matter how hard you try.
i have two things to ask about this: if i see someone and find them attractive and my mind accidentally goes to what it would be like to have sex with them and i try to get rid of the thought because i know it’s wrong, but the thought just won’t go away, is that a mortal sin?
second, i know that if you don’t believe in Jesus when you die, you cannot ascend to heaven. for me, what if my mind accidentally wanders to the thought that He’s not real (even though i know He is in my heart) before i die. will i still be able to go to heaven?
thank you everyone for listening, God bless you all. a

Please seek out a priest for these questions. He will be able to more delicately help you.

My only advice for intrusive thoughts is trust in God’s mercy and don’t entertain them.

My friend this can also be called scrupulously and I suffer from it too, but some of the best ways I know of dealing with it is reading about saints who suffered from the same thing like St.Therese, St.Alphonses, and St.Ignatius. Also maybe try more hopeful saints like St.Faustina who preached greatly on Gods mercy. Just be sure not to become overly lax which they warn about too.

Hi Eliza!

I commiserate with you. My suggestion is seek professional treatment. A good therapist and appropriate medication will help with the OCD. Those thoughts will not go away on their own, believe me!

hello everyone! i know this may be a bit of an odd question, but it’s really been bugging me lately and i just wanted to ask it.
i have ocd, or obsessive compulsive disorder, and one of the things that happens when you have this is thoughts about things you don’t want to think about, they cross your mind unintentionally and you can’t shake them, not matter how hard you try.
i have two things to ask about this: if i see someone and find them attractive and my mind accidentally goes to what it would be like to have sex with them and i try to get rid of the thought because i know it’s wrong, but the thought just won’t go away, is that a mortal sin?
second, i know that if you don’t believe in Jesus when you die, you cannot ascend to heaven. for me, what if my mind accidentally wanders to the thought that He’s not real (even though i know He is in my heart) before i die. will i still be able to go to heaven?
thank you everyone for listening, God bless you all. a
All actual sin is voluntary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back