Ocd intrusive thoughts

  • Thread starter Thread starter backtocatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

backtocatholic

Guest
Hi there.

This thread is aimed at people who have experienced intrusive thoughts.

Does anyone find that once they think that they could think a bad thought that the thought actually happens. Sometimes I find myself going along knowingly with the thought while at the same time actually saying in my head that I don’t want the thought.

Also sometimes the intrusive thoughts tend to be double meanings or crude thoughts associated with religion.

Has anyone else experienced this.
 
Hi,

I’ve experienced similar intrusive thoughts. I’m not allowed to give you medical advice, but I suggest you talk to a therapist at a mental health clinic if these thoughts have been going on for a while. By the way, I am doing that now.

God bless,
Ed
 
I have thoughts that I feel are totally going to happen and I also have thoughts that if I don’t worry about something that a catastrophe will happen. It’s like my brain justifies unnecessary worry. If you aren’t seeking help, please do so. 🙂
 
I have been for cognitive behavioral therapy and I have been told that I should do mindfulness meditation to help refocus my thoughts. I’m a bit nervous about mindfulness meditation. I know that some forms of meditation are against the church e.g TM as it causes u to empty your mind. Mindfulness is simply about being aware of your thoughts.
 
For the next few moments --try real hard NOT to think of an Apple.

then scroll down.

What did you think of?

An apple.

Even though your will was against it -you did not want to think of an apple.

The best thing to do with such thoughts morally is not to fight them directly --not fear that they will come—simply do not consent and simply and calmly turn to something else…(or it may be best to keep doing the good thing one is doing…like they come out of the blue when your at work …keep working…keep praying …etc)

Ignore such unwanted thoughts like one would ignore a hissing goose or a barking dog. One does not stop to argue with a hissing goose or a barking dog does one? No one keeps on walking…

(of course since you not OCD - seek the needful treatment - I saved this from a CA show for those in such need: catholictherapists.com/)
 
While I don’t suffer intrusive thoughts in the way you describe, I do (like most people) from time to time suffer what’s known as an ‘ear worm’ - i.e. an annoying tune gets lodged in my mind and goes round and round in my head until and beyond the point where I’m sick of it. I have a tactic though to rid myself of such things: it’s distraction. Personally, I have a ‘go to’ tune that I really really like, and I sing it to myself (in my mind) for long enough to dispel the unwanted one. It works.

So, while I don’t often make this sort of recommendation, because it’s not normally my style, in this case I can think of nothing better for a ‘thought worm’ than the Rosary.

Don’t pray to remove the intrusive thought, because you’ll continue to be giving the unwanted thought house room. Therefore if you find that you’re fixing yourself on unpleasant thoughts, you need to be distracted: so pick up your Rosary and concentrate on reciting the prayer so that it fills your mind, and that the individual mysteries come alive in your mind’s eye. Actively meditate upon them. Before long the unwanted thing will be dispelled. And when you’re done with the Rosary - however long you want to go on for - immediately do something else: sing a song to yourself, do some work or study, until the reason you started it all in the first place is no longer effectively part of the present moment for you.

Hope that works for you!
 
Thanks for all your (name removed by moderator)ut.

The one problem I have is that my thoughts are not fully intrusive.
Sometimes the thoughts happen in the following sequence:

I make a mental association or get an urge to think an inappropriate thought.
I voluntarily add to the thought in my head. I know I shouldn’t be doing this but I seem to do it anyhow and I’m not sure how much control I have over it.

These thoughts are disgusting and I take no pleasure in thinking them. However I have become desentised to the thoughts and not as shocked as I should be when they happen.

Does full consent to thoughts refer to voluntarily thinking the thoughts or actually taking pleasure in the thought.
 
I have been for cognitive behavioral therapy and I have been told that I should do mindfulness meditation to help refocus my thoughts. I’m a bit nervous about mindfulness meditation. I know that some forms of meditation are against the church e.g TM as it causes u to empty your mind. Mindfulness is simply about being aware of your thoughts.
Saint John of the Cross and the author of the Cloud of Unknowing claim that we are to empty our mind in Contemplative Prayer.
 
Thanks for all your (name removed by moderator)ut.

The one problem I have is that my thoughts are not fully intrusive.
Sometimes the thoughts happen in the following sequence:

I make a mental association or get an urge to think an inappropriate thought.
I voluntarily add to the thought in my head. I know I shouldn’t be doing this but I seem to do it anyhow and I’m not sure how much control I have over it.

These thoughts are disgusting and I take no pleasure in thinking them. However I have become desentised to the thoughts and not as shocked as I should be when they happen.

Does full consent to thoughts refer to voluntarily thinking the thoughts or actually taking pleasure in the thought.
Talk with your confessor…

And read again my post above on what is good to do when such thoughts occur.
 
Christ commands us to love God with all of our soul, with all of our heart, with all of our mind and with all of our strength. Achieving and practicing this should help your OCD immensely.
 
Does full consent to thoughts refer to voluntarily thinking the thoughts or actually taking pleasure in the thought.
St Francis de Sales wrote at length on this topic.

There is a continuum from no consent to full consent of at least three stages.
Sinfulness ranges from none (hence “intrusive”) to venial (any consent in a smaller matter or partial consent to grave matter) to mortal (full consent to a grave matter).
The latter is not common in OCD but I suppose it is possible.

Taking pleasure is a sign of at least partial consent.
Evidence of involuntary pleasure in the body is possible but ultimately the “taking pleasure” resides in the mind. In other words if the body evidences pleasure but the mind is battling then the disordered pleasure is suffered by the will/mind rather than consented or driven by the mind.

If its a regular issue spiritually wise persons put themselves under the direction of a confessor and follow his advice. That is all God asks of OCD sufferers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top