"Offer it up!"

  • Thread starter Thread starter Faith_Phoenix
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Faith_Phoenix

Guest
**Hi! Lent is right around the corner and I’ve decided to give up a pleasurable addiction: STARBUCKS! (don’t laugh, OK?!) For 40 days (omg!) I’ll go without coffee & espresso drinks from Starbucks… I won’t even go to Dunkin Donuts or any other coffee house… NO coffee or espresso drinks from anywhere! (I usually go to Starbucks 4-5 times per week and can’t go longer than a week or two without it!)

So here’s my question: At one point I’ll be going nuts without Starbucks or caffeine… HOW DO I OFFER THAT UP? Is there a certain prayer to be said?

And btw, I was being light-hearted just now, but I am going thru TONS of hell… I want to offer up whatever suffering I am enduring; I don’t want it all to go to waste! For the souls in Purgatory, all aborted babies, my family, etc.
I am used to saying “pre-written” prayers (Rosary, Divine Mercy chaplet, Our Father, novenas and other prayers one would typically find in a nice Catholic prayer book). - - - I know I can just pray from the heart…

Please advise? 🤷

Thank you!**
 
Hi “Faith” 👋 I’ll make a deal with ya… ok? I’ll pray for you… with the zero Starbucks… if you’ll pray for me… with zero “snacking”. I’m not sure if I’ll make it. :rotfl:

All kidding aside… I have heard that the way we “offer up” our sacrifices… is simply through an act of the will. In other words, tell Our Lord your intention to offer up any sacrifice… for love of Him; and then, leave the rest to Him.

I usually ad-lib some short prayer… because my little sacrifices tend to be right “in the moment” kind of things, and unplanned. So… I will say something like this…

“Dear Jesus… I offer for love of You. For the conversion of sinners; and for the salvation of souls. Amen”.

Hope this helps. God bless.
 
I copied and printed out that prayer – thank you! I made a HUGE vow to God in 1985 and haven’t kept it. It involves all my sinful habits with food. I had renewed that vow in December and did well until 1-16-09 when I was in a car accident. I bought Hostess snowballs at the scene (there was a 7-11 at the intersection) and started back on all my really bad eating habits. I’m going to offer up this vow because the CCC and the Bible make it clear God does not want us to be lazy or forgetful about keeping our vows to him. It seems I can hardly read anything since 1-6-09 that isn’t a constant reminder of my need to keep this vow.

Soooooo…pray for me too, and I’ll pray for you – I expect it will be quite a spritual journey,. Last Lent I participated in when I had just come to the church but was too late in the RCIA year to be baptized in 08, but for Lent I gave up chocolate which was HUGE for me, and I gave it up for love for God and desire to be a good heavenly daughter. It had an amazing impact on my spirit to be free of the chocolate craving. What I’m doing this year will be so much more – and aside from talking to you about this, I’m keeping this secret and private in my life.

Soooooo…pray for me, and I’ll pray for you. It will be my first Ash Wednesday service, and now everything starts in my 40 (more or less) day journey to baptism and full fellowship with Christ’s Church. OHHHHHHH and being able to be accepted at the Table of the Lord! WOW! I can hardly wait when Ithink of it.

Greast thread – thanks for listening.
 
This is something that was forwarded to me as a text message:

“He who abides in Me and I in Him bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing”
How do we know that we are abiding in Christ? How do we know if we’re hooked to the vine? It’s simple. Look at your prayer life. Your prayers demonstrate your dependens to God. Whatever you pray about is what you are hooked into God about. Whatever you don’t pray about is what you are trying to do on your own. Prayer is the acid test. - Rick Warren

Prayer and work go together. Whatever we offer to give up or do, all of it goes along with prayer. And i will be including you in my list. I myself am a coffee addict but I need it in my everyday life in the hospital. Maybe I’ll just have to find something else to offer this lent…like softdrinks? 🙂 Godbless you…
 
**WOW! What great responses!!!
That little prayer I sent to my cell phone so I can refer to it when needed!
I shall pray for all those who have given up their favourite ___ for Lent! I pray for everyone’s spiritual success in their Lenten sacrifices!!

I’d like a grande iced peppermint soy no-whip mocha, please…
NO! :eek: NO! :eek: NO! :eek: **

God bless y’all!!! :amen:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top