Offer it Up

• Thread starter Thread starter lilder
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lilder

I came into the church in 2000. I have read as much as I can get my hands on (and have time for as a new mother).

I have heard of “Offer it up” and I have tried to do this. But I am unsure if I fully understand the implication and application of such an act.

Please let me know what you think “Offering it Up” is and why you would do this.

Thanks in advance!!
🙂 Lilder

40.png
lilder:
I came into the church in 2000. I have read as much as I can get my hands on (and have time for as a new mother).

I have heard of “Offer it up” and I have tried to do this. But I am unsure if I fully understand the implication and application of such an act.

Please let me know what you think “Offering it Up” is and why you would do this.

Thanks in advance!!
🙂 Lilder
We offer up many things to God - our joy, our thanks, our worship. So, too, we offer up our sufferings for the glory of God and for the sufferings of our fellow men. We *willingly * accept this suffering as Jesus accepted His suffering for our sake, and we suffer it without complaint. We offer it up to God to use as He sees fit. We take up our cross as Jesus demanded, and we are humbly honored if God uses our sufferings to relieve the sufferings of another, expressing the communal aspect of Christianity (I Corinthians 12:26 “And if one member suffer any thing, all the members suffer with it: or if one member glory, all the members rejoice with it.”).

You may consider it more of a discipline to gain self-control, and we honor Jesus by humbly accepting our suffering as He accepted His.

See, also, I Peter 2:19-22: “For this is thankworthy: if, for conscience towards God, a man endure sorrows, suffering wrongfully. For what glory is it, if, committing sin and being buffeted for it, you endure? But if doing well you suffer patiently: this is thankworthy before God. For unto this are you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving you an example that you should follow his steps.”

and Philippians 3:8-11: “Furthermore, I count all things to be but loss for the excellent knowledge of Jesus Christ, my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them but as dung, that I may gain Christ. And may be found in him, not having my justice, which is of the law, but that which is of the faith of Christ Jesus, which is of God: justice in faith. That I may know him and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of his sufferings: being made conformable to his death, If by any means I may attain to the resurrection which is from the dead.”

It’s a tough subject, and one in which many of our saints are well-versed (see Padre Pio). Hope this helps.

Look also in the first chapter of Colossians (1:24). Paul talks about his suffering making up that which is lacking in the Passion of Christ. By offering up our suffering in reperation for our sins and for others, we can join with Jesus in our salvation. No, he does not need our help, but it is something we can do. After all, we do enough to put him on the Cross in the first place.

It is a beautiful teaching of the Church. We do not try to explain away suffering or say that is we suffer we are not holy. We understand, as Father Benedict Groechel (sp) says, that Jesus did not end suffering but he made suffering HOLY.

Sometimes I have a special intention for which I offer my sufferings and sacrifices, sometimes I offer them in reparation for my sins, sometimes I offer them for the souls in Purgatory, and sometimes I just offer them to Jesus “for the desires of Your Heart.” (His heart, that is.) Lately, I’ve been trying to remember that Mary makes our poor offering tidier and more attractive to Jesus. I have certain things that are very painful, and I often just say, “Mother, please wrap this up pretty and give it to Jesus - don’t let it go to waste!” (My grammar takes a dive when I’m in pain!)

Do you remember hearing about the “Heroic Act of Charity?” As I remember, it was a general offering of all the sufferings of one’s life for the souls in Purgatory, with the thought that when you need help, the souls that you helped, would in turn help you. And God would look kindly on this generosity as well. I haven’t reached that level of heroism yet myself.

I like to think about what is called the spiritual treasury of the Church - all the merits of the saints and angels and the communion of saints - I picture it all in a golden treasure chest, and we can add to it or receive from it. When somebody offers something up, it goes in. When an indulgence is gained, it comes out. But it’s always overflowing because of the merits of Jesus Himself.

Well, this post was all over the place, wasn’t it?

Betsy

Lilder - Some of the Irish have a saying “Put it on the Paten”. When the priest offers up the bread at the Offertory, before the Consecration, put all your hurts and troubles there with it as an offering to God as a penance for yourself and others, especially the souls in Purgatory.

I heard ‘offer it up’ & it was meaningless to me - or else it sounded heartless (I stub my toe, want comfort and I’m told, ‘Offer it up.’)

After Christ became the center of my life, I wanted to know what ‘offer it up’ meant. I couldn’t see how it worked: I got hurt, something bad happened, I ‘offered it up’ - & then what? What good did that do for me? I still hurt.

From experience, I’d say the best way to ‘understand’ ‘offering it up’ is to take a leap of faith & just do it. When I had a headache, I’d be concentrating on how much I didn’t want this headache & finally remember I was supposed to be doing this ‘offer it up’ thing, so I’d say to Christ, ‘I’m offering this up (whatever that means)’.

It became a habit - take a bad fall, offer it up; have a bad day, offer it up. I didn’t ‘feel’ anything or see any difference in my spiritual life, I was just doing this thing on faith, because the Church said it meant something & was a good thing to do.

Once, in the midst of great emotional pain caused by a loved one, I was crying and feeling so hurt, & the habit kicked in, I prayed, ‘I offer this up, I offer this pain for the person who hurt me.’ A peace flowed into my heart. The hurt didn’t hurt.

I should hasten to say that it’s only happened once - ever since then the physical or emotional hurt that I’ve experienced has still hurt when I’ve offered it up. But what has changed is that I ‘know’ - spiritually, not intellectually - that offering up my pains & sorrows is a good thing, it helps.

What you find, eventually, is that offering it up IS what you do with pain. It’s a pure & perfect offering because no normal person wants pain. We can offer up sweets, but that starts with me, saying, ‘I’m going to give up sweets.’ We can decide not to insist on our own way, but still that starts with ‘I,’ my decision. Pain comes without our decision - it just happens to us, & we have no choice in the matter. Why? What good does pain do, what can we do with it? We offer it up - that’s all there is to do with pain, endure it and offer it up.

Now this may sound weird - it certainly sounded weird and scary when I read about it in the lives of the saints - but as you habitually offer up your pains & sorrows, you find a strange kind of joy in them. I don’t mean you ‘enjoy pain.’ Most certainly not - it still hurts. But you come to know, in a spiritual way, just as God allows all things for our sanctification, He’s allowing this pain for your sanctification. You realize that this pain, this suffering, is a gift from God to make you more like Him (in His suffering). You know, spiritually, that offering this pain brings grace to others, somehow, mysteriously, & at the same time makes you more like Christ, sanctifies you.

When that happens, strange as it may seem, you not only gladly offer up your pain, you begin to see your pain as somehow not enough, as tiny, compared to the suffering of Christ & the spiritual needs of those you’d like to help by offering up your pain. You no longer fear & reject pain, you thank God for it, you acknowledge how little it is - & you even offer yourself willingly to suffer more for the good of those souls you hold dear.

You’re a mother; I’ll give you a concrete example. You suffered great pains to give birth to your children. Looking at your children, you’d probably say that you love them so much you’d have willingly suffered ten times the pain to bring them into the world. And you’d suffer 100 times as much to spare them suffering, wouldn’t you?

That’s kind of the ‘love dynamic’ that’s behind offering your pains for the love of souls.

Begin small, offering up any suffering or sacrifice you meet today, when you remember - even a few hours after the headache no longer hurts; that’s still OK. God’s grace will take you deeper into it, & in time you’ll understand with your ‘spiritual intellect’ how your gift of suffering benefits those you love.

St. Therese the Little Flower used “sacrafice beads” and would pull a bead when she had offered a small action (done in love) to Our Lord. She teaches that in being small we show our love for Jesus.
Saint Therese Sacrafice Beads

**As a child, Saint Therese was given a string of beads with which to count her sacrafices and other acts of love done for God. In that way she was able to advance in perfection daily by conscious effort to eliminate defects and to acquire virtues.

You too, can grow in holiness by following the example of the Little Flower. Simply pull a bead each time you make and act of love or and act of sacrafice for love of God Saint Therese, pray for us.**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back