Offering it Up?

• Thread starter Thread starter AmandaPS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AmandaPS

I was wondering if there was a correct way that we should offer up our pain to God?

I suffer from constant physical pain that makes it hard at times, more so lately than not, to walk, stand, sit or even lie down. When this happens, I often pray, “Lord please take this pain and use it as you will.”

Is that appropriate? If not, what should I do? :confused:

It seems quite appropriate.

Another way of doing the same thing would be to contemplate Our Lord in the Garden of Gethsemane. Join your suffering to His, and say with Him the prayer He offered at the start of His agony:

“Father, if it is Thy will, let this chalice pass. Yet not my will, but Thine be done.”

I will pray for you, too. Hope that helps.

Dear Amanda,
God Bless you! I admire your courage and attitude. It’s rare these days. I hope through your suffering you can be more united with Christ.

Sincerely, WhiteDove

Hi Amanda –

May God bless you in your willingness to lovingly offer your pain for others. I suffer from a chronic illness and often have much pain and discomfort. I have learned a lot by reading many of the saints and also by contemplating suffering in scripture.

Your prayer is wonderful! You can also offer pain for specific intentions throughout the day if you wish. If you’re not praying the daily offering in the morning, it is a great way to start and a reminder that our entire day is an offering to God:

Lord, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary I offer you my day, my prayers, works, joys and sufferings, for the intentions of Your Most Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for all sins, for the intentions of my friends and family, for the intentions of our Holy Father, Pope John Paul II and for all who need Your Grace the most. Amen.

In another thread I shared several scripture verses on suffering that have helped me through the last few years. I will share them again here and hope they bring you some comfort:

Rom. 8:17-18
Since we are His children, we will share His treasures - for all God gives to His Son Jesus is now ours, too. But if we are to share in His Glory, we must also share His Suffering.

Phil. 1:29
For to you has been given the privilege not only of trusting Him but also of suffering for Him. For He is using your sufferings to make you ready for His kingdom.

1 Tim. 4:10
…We work hard and suffer much in order that people will believe…

2 Tim. 2:12-13
And if we think that our present service for Him is hard, just remember that some day we are going to sit with Him and rule with Him. But if we give up when we suffer, and turn against Christ, then He must turn against us. Even when we are too weak to have any faith left, He remains faithful to us and will help us, for He cannot disown us who are part of Himself, and He will always carry out His promises to us.

1 Peter 4:12-13, 19
Don’t be bewildered or surprised when you go through the fiery trials ahead, for this is no strange, unusual thing that is going to happen to you. Instead, be really glad - because these trials will make you partners with Christ in His sufferings, and afterwards you will have the wonderful joy of sharing His glory in that coming day when it will be displayed.

Matt. 10:38
If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine.

Col. 1:24
But part of my work is to suffer for you; and I am glad, for I am helping to finish up the remainder of Christ’s sufferings for His body, the Church.

Heb. 12: 6, 11-13
For when He punishes you, it proves that He loves you. Being punished isn’t enjoyable while it is happening – it hurts! But afterwards we can see the result, a quiet growth in grace and character. So take a new grip with your tired hands, stand firm on your shaky legs, and mark out a straight, smooth path for your feet so that those who follow you, though weak and lame, will not fall and hurt themselves, but become strong.
Our Lord must love you much to give you so great a part in His suffering. – Mother Teresa

It is precisely when I suffer that my joy is greater. – St. Faustina

Very appropriate to offer those sufferings to God. Well done.

I have written a meditation “Suffering in Holiness” where I address offering up your sufferings to God.

I have suffered a lot and offer up all my sufferings to God. It helps.

I hope it is useful to you, Amanda.

Thank you so much for your kind and wonderful replies and prayers. I will remember to contemplate our Lord’s suffering in the Garden, and how much he has suffered for us all.

Didi, could you recommend specific saints? I don’t know much about their lives as I should. :o

Thank you so much, and God bless.

T.A.Stobie:
Very appropriate to offer those sufferings to God. Well done.

I have written a meditation “Suffering in Holiness” where I address offering up your sufferings to God.

I have suffered a lot and offer up all my sufferings to God. It helps.

I hope it is useful to you, Amanda.
Thanks for the mediation. I’ve printed it out to read when the wee ones go down for their naps. 🙂

40.png
AmandaPS:
Thanks for the mediation. I’ve printed it out to read when the wee ones go down for their naps. 🙂
If you have any questions about it, just let me know.

Suffering not offered to God is suffering that is wasted.:yup:

40.png
AmandaPS:
Didi, could you recommend specific saints? I don’t know much about their lives as I should.
St. Faustina Kowalska – Her Diary
St. Therese of Lisieux – The Story of a Soul
St. John of the Cross
St. Catherine of Sienna
St. Augustine – Confessions
Blessed Mother Teresa

There is a great little booklet called “Suffering: A Key to the Meaning of Life” by Catholic author John F. Downs. John was in a trampoline accident at the age of 15 and became quadriplegic. This is a summary of his life of suffering and what he has learned from the saints and the Church. He has a longer book entitled “Why” that goes into more detail of his spiritual journey. They are wonderful. Both are available at his website: www.johnfdowns.com

Nothing I can really add, I just wanted to say how great is it to hear that you are thinking of God more so than yourself, while in your pain. God Bless you!

Thank you once again for the list and suggestions.

Sometimes, I wish I could say that I think of God more than I do myself, especially when depression hits. :o I’ve read Dark Night of the Soul and think that Thomas’ meditations will be of great help when it starts to creep in. I like Father Benedict Groeschel’s Arise from Darkness as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back