Offering Mass for the passed?

• Thread starter Thread starter emom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emom

I’ve been hearing that you can offer Mass to the dead and even to the living. Do you just ask the priest to do this? What is required? Does there have to be a monetary gift inorder to do this?

What is a novena?

40.png
emom:
I’ve been hearing that you can offer Mass to the dead and even to the living. Do you just ask the priest to do this? What is required? Does there have to be a monetary gift inorder to do this?

What is a novena?
Mass may be offered for any intention – for the soul of a departed loved one (7:00 a.m. Mass in the church I attend on weekdays had a Mass for Pope JP II a couple of weeks ago) or for a living person or for a special project.

Usually you contact the parish office to arrange for it. My home parish books up 18 months in advance, so you could have a bit of a wait. Some parishes seem to have a lot of “open” Masses.

The person requesting the Mass usually offers a voluntary stipend but the church cannot charge for a Mass. The offering is to cover the expenses incurred. Usually it is about $10. If you cannot afford it, you do not need to make an offering. (A $10 offering doesn’t cover the cost of turning on the lights – so not making a contribution isn’t going to create a financial hardship for the parish.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back