"Offering Up" explain please

• Thread starter Thread starter Zarozinnia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zarozinnia

Hi everyone,

Could someone please explain “offering up” of sacrifices, suffering, etc. I don’t feel I fully understand what this means, or how to do it.

Thanks!

There are times in our lives that suffering can not be avoided. It may be a dentist visit or medical condition for instance. In these cases we unite our pain with that of Jesus on the cross and offer it up to him for our sins or maybe ever to benefit another, bring someone back to church, or for the soul of a loved one. We have to be careful here, however. Some women have said that they remain in an abusive situation and “Offer it up.” The Lord does not want anyone to stay in a situation where they are being abused, either physically or mentally. This “Offering up” is used in situations where their is little or no choice and sufferings must be experienced. In the early days of the church, saints use to physically punish themselves as an offering to God. This practice is no longer condoned by the church.

May God bless you,
Deacon Tony

This is redemptive suffering – offering whatever pain you are going through, joining it to Jesus’ suffering on the cross, and offering it for the benefit of someone else, just like Jesus did.

The pain doesn’t have to be physical only, it can be worry and anguish, concern over financial difficulties, impatience with a situation, feelings of abandonement, humiliation, etc.

This comes from several scriptural passages, maybe the most famous being Colossians 1:24: “Now I rejoice in my sufferings your your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church.”

Now, Jesus’ offering was perfect, but He is the Head of the Church. We, the people, are the Body of the Church, and are called to follow Jesus in all things, including sacrifice and suffering.

There are two prayers that help me greatly with this. The first is the Morning Offering prayer, where we offer our entire day to God:

Dear Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary I offer You my day, my work, rest, prayers, joys and sufferings, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, for the intentions of your Most Sacred Heart, in reparation for our sins, for the intentions of our friends and family, for Our Holy Father, Pope John Paul II and (any special intentions here).

The second prayer:

O my Lord Jesus Christ, I lift up my heart to You in my suffering and ask for Your comforting help. I know that You would withhold the thorns of this life if I could attain eternal life without them. And so I commend myself to Your loving mercy, accepting this suffering in Your Name. Grant me the grace to bear it and to offer it in union with Your sufferings. Regardless of the suffering that may come my way, let me trust You always, for You are my Lord, my God, and my all. Amen.

It can also be as simple as stubbing your toe and saying “Jesus I offer this pain to you for the benefit of all souls.”

Deacon Tony560:
There are times in our lives that suffering can not be avoided. It may be a dentist visit or medical condition for instance. In these cases we unite our pain with that of Jesus on the cross and offer it up to him for our sins or maybe ever to benefit another, bring someone back to church, or for the soul of a loved one. We have to be careful here, however. Some women have said that they remain in an abusive situation and “Offer it up.” The Lord does not want anyone to stay in a situation where they are being abused, either physically or mentally. This “Offering up” is used in situations where their is little or no choice and sufferings must be experienced. In the early days of the church, saints use to physically punish themselves as an offering to God. This practice is no longer condoned by the church.

May God bless you,
Deacon Tony
We see a rare situation in Augustine’s mother Monica who stayed in a real bad marriage where there was both physical and mental abuse. In the end the husband converted. I woulden’t want someone I know to suffer this but it is done and not all the time for the wrong reason. You’re wrong about the “little or no choice”. Certain forms of penances and mortifications in addition to the everyday stuff we can’t avoid are all acceptable as offering, the former being done under the guidance of a spiritual director. There are stupid extremes though, and yes to offer up the whole day, all pain, suffering and such for the intentions of Jesus, the same intentions He offered to the Father, and so we unite ours to Jesus’ . Our Lord redeemed all suffering (it’s all from the Fall, sin) by entering into it as man and so we too, being human, paricipate in His saving act by uniting ours(suffering to His).St. Paul; says " In my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of His Body, that is, the Church". We are redeemed but in need of conversion, so that His Body (the Church) still suffers and is in need of conversion, so whatever needs to be changed for the better, for Christ(His Church) we can accomplish by offering our own suffering for the conversion of sinners.

Peace and Love.

By St Josemaria Escriva. Might give some further insight into the value of suffering. And how we co-redeem.
As I speak of these things, there comes to mind the dream of that author of the golden age of Spanish literature — I am sure some of you have heard me mention it in other meditations. The writer sees two roads opening up before him. One of them is broad and smooth, easy to travel, with many comfortable inns, taverns and other places of beauty and delight. Along this road go great crowds of people on horseback or in carriages, in a hubbub of music and mindless laughter. One sees a multitude intoxicated by a joy which is simply ephemeral and superficial, for this road leads to a bottomless precipice. It is the road taken by the worldly-minded, ever seeking material pleasure, boasting a happiness that they do not really possess, and craving insatiably for comfort and pleasure… They are terrified at the thought of suffering, self-denial or sacrifice. They have no wish to know anything about the Cross of Christ. They think it is sheer madness. But then it is they who are insane, for they are slaves of envy, gluttony and sensuality. They end up suffering far more, and only too late do they realise that they have squandered both their earthly and their eternal happiness in exchange for meaningless trifles. Our Lord has warned us about this. ‘The man who tries to save his life shall lose it; it is the man who loses his life for my sake who will secure it. How is a man the better for it if he gains the whole world at the cost of losing his own soul?’

In that dream there is another path which goes in a different direction. It is so steep and narrow that the travellers who take it cannot go on horseback. All who take it must go on foot, perhaps having to zigzag from side to side, but they move steadily on, treading on thorns and briars, picking their way round rocks and boulders. At times their clothing gets torn, and even their flesh. But at the end of this road a garden of paradise awaits them, eternal happiness, Heaven. This is the way taken by holy people, who humble themselves and who, out of love for Jesus, gladly sacrifice themselves for others. It is the path of those who are not afraid of an uphill climb, who bear the cross lovingly, no matter how heavy it may be, because they know that if they fall under its weight they can still get up and continue their ascent. Christ is the strength of these travellers

Might this be the origin of the habit some people have of exclaiming the Holy Name when, for example, they experience intense frustration? Or is that taking the Lord’s Name in vain, pure and simple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back