Offering up suffering for others?

• Thread starter Thread starter christineRN
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

christineRN

I have a couple of questions about suffering.
When a person has physical suffering, can they offer that up for the benefit of others?
In addition, if you take prescribed medication to help lessen the suffering does that lessen the ability to offer up the suffering?
In order for suffering to be redemptive, must we live with the pain and suffering rather than perusing means to lessen or end the suffering?
Thanks

You can definately offer up suffering for others. As far as taking drugs goes, this is just my opinion, if you have less suffering to offer up there will be less grace attributed to it. I don’t believe it is an all or nothing thing. Lord knows I have trouble with headaches and offering up that pain. God knows what is in our hearts and what we are able to give at any given time. We shouldn’t try to do what is beyond our means, but we shouldn’t try to do less than we are capable of. There is no mold that we can place on people. We are all different and if we try to meet God on the path, he will help. In general, God will always be going the 99%, we just have to give the 1%. What that 1% is, is different for everyone of us.

John

Thank you John for your response I should probably redirect a little to get some more information. I am referring to post surgical pain and prescribed medications that although the help lessen pain they do not eliminate the suffering. Since we are not supposed to neglect our health we should follow the prudent instructions of our physician and take the medications as prescribed to aid the healing process, but in doing so, do we lessen the redemptive value of suffering?

I was also wondering about whether or not the desire for the suffering to be less will lessen the redemptive value. The reason why I ask is that although a person may want to offer up their suffering, deep down, they also hope the suffering does not continue.

In addition, are their any prayers that anyone suggests regarding redemptive suffering specifically?

You have obligations regards your health for family that rely on you etc. The more you suffer , the more redemptive it is when offered up. It’s a personal choice to choose more suffering if you want. Many Saints prayed for suffering, look at the greatest- the stigmatists.
Everyday life brings many crosses our way, and it’s often enough to accept and embrace these and offer them up for the salvation of whoever.
It’s a personal choice to choose to suffer more. God is always eager to accept our offerings. but he leaves it up to us, as to whether we are willing to suffer more or not. In such circumstances it’s extremely helpful to have a spiritual director. As the Holy Spirit will speak to you through him. And even if he gets it wrong, God will be more pleased with your obedience to your director than with all the sufferings you may ever undergo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back