I watched parts 1 to 5 (I might point out I don’t normally get into video watching, but I did this time).
My own position is as an ex-Protestant who believes the Catholic Church is the closest to the truth.
That Christ was establishing an office is beyond doubt. The Papacy has been going for 2000 years and will continue to do so, as “the gates of Hell will not prevail against the church”. What’s the use of having a church if you’re not going to give it any authority?
As for Petrine supremacy -
- It was Peter who spoke at Pentecost, the first outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
- It was Peter who declared the death sentence against Ananias & Sapphira.
- It was Peter who first took the Gospel to the Gentiles.
- It was Peter’s boat from which Christ preached the beatitudes.
- In all lists of the apostles, Peter is listed first.
- Peter is mentioned far in excess of then next most mentioned apostle, John.
- It is Peter whom Christ declares the shepherd of his sheep.
- It is Peter who declared Christ the Messiah.
- It was Peter who confirmed the council’s decisions.
- It was Peter who walked on water.
- It was Peter to whom Christ gave the keys of the kingdom of Heaven.
- It was Peter to whom Christ said “Confirm your brethren”.
- It was Peter who performed the first apostolic miracle after Christ’s resurrection (lame beggar at the temple).
- It was to Peter that Paul went after his conversion and stayed with for 15 days.
- It was Peter who spoke to the Sanhedrin in the name of the Apostles.
When Paul did rebuke Peter, he does not mention rebuking anybody else, but Peter, even though the others were doing the same thing ("… the other Jews joined him in this hypocrisy…". Why? Because he recognised Peter’s authority, and by rebuking Peter, he rebuked them all.
Having said all that, I haven’t got much admiration for the “Infallibility” doctrine. It was brought in at a time of ultra-montanism, using dishonest means, and all it does is provide one more unnecessary barrier to eventual unification. I haven’t got much admiration for the artificial contraception argument either, as far as that goes. But that’s another story.
But I believe the Pope is the head of the Catholic Church, but we need to separate the man from the office. As one priest said to me, “infallibility” doesn’t mean the Pope is infallible, but only when he speaks* ex cathedra * on a matter of faith and morals, and to the whole church. As far as I know, it’s only been invoked twice since Vatican I, well over a century ago.
But I don’t see the necessity for it. The pope’s authority comes from Christ, not a bunch of ultramontanists. Taken at face value, the Pope could give you a tip for next Saturday’s races and call it infallible.