Okay, so I rented it

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brian_C
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, if one would go back and read my remarks in context, my faith was neither shaken nor stirred by the stupid book and movie. As well it shouldn’t be. Let’s not be such literalists, please?
 
Is giving extra money to the church because you watched the DaVinci Code make God forget you watched it?
No, it’s called penance. Do you do penance after confession?😉

The movie is quite blasphemous, no matter how we try to trivialize it.

Now, I started this thread simply to answer that question. If you want to rant and rave about the deVinci code, please find one of the 867 threads on the subject.
 
Greetings…
I went to see the movie when it first came out. And will never ever think about seeing it again. I dont know if it was Jesus giving us a message to get out and not watch it or just an act of ‘nature’
Anyway, here is my story.
We got into the movie to watch it, the movie was just about to start, and my mother had some sort of seizure. She had blacked out and was convulsing pretty badly, I was lucky the lady behind me was a nurse and she brought her around. Mum didnt feel anything and thought she was asleep. It scared the cr*p out of me and I was trying to encourage her to leave so we could go to the dr’s., but she insisted on watching it so we stayed, i think i prayed pretty hard for forgivness after all that happened.
She had all types of tests on her and nothing was wrong, so if anyone ever asks me do you think i should watch it… i give them a big fat NO!!!
WOW! Hope you are all still doing well… quite the night you had!!!
 
So are you saying you only go to the theatre to watch movies that you consider Catholic neutral? Then why go the movies at all. The money you spend on a ticket doesn’t all go to the movie itself…part of it goes to the theatre that is showing the movie. The same theatre that shows…The Ring, The BirdCage, Priest, The Omen, The Stigmata, Harry Potter, The Shining and yes, The Lion, the Witch and Wardrobe. So in affect you are sinning even when you see a Benji movie, because in the theatre next to you, The DaVinci Code is playing. Where does the madness end?

Is giving extra money to the church because you watched the DaVinci Code make God forget you watched it? It’s like my Holiness cousins who weren’t allowed to go to the beach on Sunday, because it was a sin to be in a bathing suit on Sunday. Which I asked the question…“Does that mean the Lord sleeps all week and wakes up on Sunday to see you in a bathing suit?”

Come on, Jared…living with full absolutes makes one want to live in a cave. Lighten up.
Yep! 👍
 
Geez, if one would go back and read my remarks in context, my faith was neither shaken nor stirred by the stupid book and movie. As well it shouldn’t be. Let’s not be such literalists, please?
As always, 👍
:tiphat:
 
No, it’s called penance. Do you do penance after confession?😉

The movie is quite blasphemous, no matter how we try to trivialize it.

Now, I started this thread simply to answer that question. If you want to rant and rave about the deVinci code, please find one of the 867 threads on the subject.
Hey Brian_ C
I think Julianna was being sarcastic, but she’ll correct me if I’m wrong… I hope!!!:o
 
Hey Brian_ C
I think Julianna was being sarcastic, but she’ll correct me if I’m wrong… I hope!!!:o
sarcasim with a big S. Instead of Apologetics…this should be called “Absolutists”…someone needs to compile a list of all the no-no’s, so we can carry it around…since we don’t know what to watch, where to shop, what to buy, what to eat, how to have sex, or not…geez louise…are there any caves for sale a low discount price…one without pagan drawings if you please…:eek:

when was the word “human” slipped out of “human being”…or did I miss the memo? 😃

We come short of the glory of God. We all sin, we all make mistakes. Brian, you think you made a mistake by watching the movie…I haven’t seen it yet, I have read the book, and I liked it, I did not think it was blasphemous…you did…great, your opinion.

Lion…you know…my thought is, because I liked the book, and will see the movie at some point, while others who saw it, or didn’t see it, because they thought it was blasphemous, does that make them any less of a Christian than myself? This is where I part company.
👍
 
40.png
Julianna:
Brian, you think you made a mistake by watching the movie…I haven’t seen it yet, I have read the book, and I liked it, I did not think it was blasphemous…you did…great, your opinion.
Mine and several in the Magisterium, including my confessor. I’ll listen to them.😉 If not, I could always be Episcopalian. If you don’t believe it was a big deal then don’t concern yourself with taking my thread on tangents. But I guess that’s too much to ask…:rolleyes:
 
You know what I mean…The daVinci Code. Haven’t watched it yet but intend to. Purely for entertainment.
a.I can certainly say it won’t introduce any doubt into my beliefs given my degrees in history and anthropology (if 7.5 yrs of college didn’t, this cheesy movie won’t).

b.I feel quite confident (not boasting) that I know more about Church and European history than Dan Brown

c.I have unshakable faith that I nourish daily.

So…I still feel terrible for paying money to rent this movie. Would it be a good penance to add an equivalant amount of money to my offering next Sunday or should I discuss it with a with a priest, first…

Hmmm, or maybe a “debunking the daVinci Code” night in RCIA…

1. No one - meaning no one - has unshakeable faith. The people who are most sure they have it, are the likeliest to lose it.​

  1. One cannot be sorry for a sin one intends to commit.
  2. It’s a very dull film
  3. Watch it, but only if you have insomnia - the one word I can’t use for it is “entertaining”. Dull, yes. Poorly plotted, certainly. Without artistic merit, beyond a doubt. But entertaining, only if you enjoy watching paint dry
I don’t think it’s a danger to anything except one’s respect for the director & the leading actors. What is disturbing, is that people can be so ignorant, ill-educated & irrational as to take a novel for history. No author ever went wrong by underestimating the intelligence of his readers; certainly not Dan Brown. It is truly terrifying that countries such as the USA & UK, which are both rich in nuclear weaponry, have populations so unintelligent as to mistake fiction for fact; & the people who must bear most of the blame for this shocking state of affairs are the Fundamentalists of every kind.

As for debunking it - to take it that seriously, gives it an importance it neither has nor deserves. Of course, if Christians want it to be seen, remembered, & popularised, they should continue to give it the attention they do; I’m sure Dan Brown is most grateful for all the free publicity.
 
I didn’t agree with the fact that I was renting it and was wondering if givng an equal amount of money to the Church was a good idea. As Mass has come and gone and I contributed an extra $10 to our church building fund and an extra $5 to the general collection, I feel a bit better about the money I paid to rent the movie. So my original question is moot and there’s no need for any more discussion on it…😉

Thanks for all the other points, though!:rolleyes: Please see any of my previous 8 responses on the subject of unshakable faith.😉
 
You said for “purely entertainment reasons”… what if you also use the movie to understand the other side’s arguments so that you can more effectively debunk their arguments and/or beliefs? Kind of like what you suggested with the RCIA class and perhaps other aquaintances as well.
BTW, i heard the movie was actually really quite bad so hope you didn’t waste your “entertainment dollars” 😉

The film has as much intellectual substance as a Jack Chick comic. There is a scene in which Sir Ian McKellen’s character quotes a lot of ideas about early Christianity which co-incide exactly with some of the stuff in one of them​

IOW, Dan Brown gets his ideas about Church history from a Fundamentalist Baptist whose knowledge of the subject can be summed in the sentence “I am a Know-Nothing”.
 
It is truly terrifying that countries such as the USA & UK, which are both rich in nuclear weaponry, have populations so unintelligent as to mistake fiction for fact; & the people who must bear most of the blame for this shocking state of affairs are the Fundamentalists of every kind.
What do you mean by this? And please define “Fundamentalist.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top