Old and New : The Our Father

• Thread starter Thread starter Exporter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Exporter

Back in the late fifties I heard a radio show that I have not forgotten. The show’s host was a Black disc jockey. Each Friday he had a guest. This particular Friday he had a Catholic Priest as a guest.

The Priest was asked what was the best prayer for most people.He said “The Our Father”. He said it was complete.

But he wanted us to say each word separately. Say “Our”…think what that meant, then say “Father”, think what that meant, say Who Art", stop again and think what that meant, and so forth. Pausing on each word. For instance, “Our”…He is the Father of all of us, including all the Angels, and being a Father that makes us His children.

Why did I post this? I thought that if some of you are a bit stagnant, then by using this way of praying the Our Father it would make the prayer mean more. It was a prayer that Jesus used so it is a good prayer. Merry Christmas!:love:

40.png
Exporter:
Back in the late fifties I heard a radio show that I have not forgotten. The show’s host was a Black disc jockey. Each Friday he had a guest. This particular Friday he had a Catholic Priest as a guest.

The Priest was asked what was the best prayer for most people.He said “The Our Father”. He said it was complete.

But he wanted us to say each word separately. Say “Our”…think what that meant, then say “Father”, think what that meant, say Who Art", stop again and think what that meant, and so forth. Pausing on each word. For instance, “Our”…He is the Father of all of us, including all the Angels, and being a Father that makes us His children.

Why did I post this? I thought that if some of you are a bit stagnant, then by using this way of praying the Our Father it would make the prayer mean more. It was a prayer that Jesus used so it is a good prayer. Merry Christmas!:love:
Dear friend

St Teresa of Avila used to meditate on the ‘Our Father’ and found she could not get past the ‘OUR’ so profound was it to her.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Teresa,

I have the CD by Father Larry Richards “Mass Explained” and in it he says that during his Mass he slows down the Our Father as to really meditate it’s meaning… after Mass,.he would often have memebers of the Church approach him and say…“Father that was a reeealy loooong Our Father!”:ehh:
He also mentions St. Teresa of Avila and how she couldn’t get past “Our”. Now I often find myself slowing down too.😉

Have a very joyous Christmas and may God be with you!

Dear Kayla

In this life we should ALL slow down, take time to reflect , pray and think, ponder on the words of others and most of all on Our Lord’s words

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back