Old Testament Parallel to the crowing of the thorns

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hegesippus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hegesippus

Guest
I am wondering if there is any Old Testament parallel for the crowning of thorns for our Lord? Any insight would be appreciated.
 
I think that you should look to Genesis 22 at Abraham’s sacrifice of Isaac. I believe that Abraham was told by God to take Isaac to the hills of Moriah and sacrifice him. Genesis 22:13 tells of a ram caught in a brier patch or a thicket by the horns. The parallel is that this innocent male sheep, who is caught in the brier is to be taken and sacrificed in stead of Isaac. I think that is the direct parallel for hte crowning of thorns Christ suffered.
 
I like the use of the sacrifice of Isaac as a type.

I once used Genesis 3:17-18
To the man he said: "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree of which I had forbidden you to eat, "Cursed be the ground because of you! In toil shall you eat its yield all the days of your life.
18
Thorns and thistles shall it bring forth to you, as you eat of the plants of the field.
Where thorns are a part of the punishment for the sin of Adam.
 
Do you guys believe there is any similarities between the crowining of the thorns and the babylonian captivity?
 
Do you guys believe there is any similarities between the crowining of the thorns and the babylonian captivity?
I don’t know if I could equate the Babylonian captivity with the crowning of thorns. I saw that episode more along the lines of the history of the Jewish people.

For me, the Bible operates much like a piece of literature. There is a tremendous amount of foreshadowing in the Old Testament that is “fulfilled” in the New Testament. Examples would be comparisons/ contrasts between Mary and Eve, Mary and the Ark of the Covenant, the ram substituting as a blood sacrifice for Isaac with Christ’s sacrifice for Israel and all people, the keys Eliakim bears for the Kingdom of David (a symbol of authority) with Peter being given the keys of the Kingdom of God (a symbol of authority). I believe that they are many more examples of the foreshadowing throughout the Old Testament that are “fulfilled” in the New Testament. My understanding of the events of the New Testament stem from what Christ said, though I forgot the verse, “I have not come to destroy the law, but to fulfill it.”

Now, I will stop and allow the more capable apologists answer your question.

Dominus vobsicum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top