Old Testament Rosary?

• Thread starter Thread starter legeorge
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

legeorge

My Mother -in- Law went to a special service for women at our parish where the associate priest led a Rosary using events from the Old Testament instead of the mysteries. She was truly confounded. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Is our priest way off base here? :confused:

The Rosary is, according to the words of Pope John Paul II, a “compendium of the gospels”. That seems to make it New Testament, not Old.

Further, the types, or typology, seen in the Old Testament are fulfilled in the New Testament.

Now, if the priest had read, say, a bible passage from the book of Esther, and tied it into the Glorious Mysteries, like the Assumption or the Coronation, that would be fine.

How did he even say it? Did he call them Joyous Mysteries, Sorrowful, etc.? Or did he have a cutesey-poo name for them? Did he feel that because JP 2 came up with the Luminous that he, a priest, could monkey around and make up a “relevant” new set?

This is pretty weird stuff. Sounds to me as though he’s tapping into the “sacred feminine” of that ol’ tyme religion with all those happy women deacons etc. and his focus on the O.T.

I’d ask him (nicely) why the real mysteries of the rosary aren’t “enough” for people.

I wasn’t there, but my mil said that instead of the mysteries, he took events from the OT and talked about them where there should have been meditation on a mystery. I totally agree with you that the rosary is Gospel prayer. We were really concerned about it but weren’t sure if we were just blowing it out of proportion. I am also about to engage in a conversation with our pastor about washing women’s feet on Holy Thursday. That should be about as interesting as my disagreements with him during the elections. We have a pretty liberal parish which is influenced by what I have heard referred to as “feminazis”. ( I kind of liked the term, but only use it internally or when talking with close family who understand what I mean.) I would leave and go to another parish, but I feel like God wants me to be where I am. We are pretty much the most traditional family there. We are the only ones I know who use NFP (and I know most of the families because I teach RE and I am on the pastoral council.) and that is just the tip of the iceberg. So I often come here for advice and research when our parish throws out some new thing to absolutely astonish us! I like to be fully informed when stating my case to the pastor :rolleyes: Thanks for the response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back