On being 'Holy'

• Thread starter Thread starter theTaxCollector
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theTaxCollector

I read the following quote today. I believe it is true, but I don’t really understand it. I am not sure who said it.

Can anyone help me understand or offer insight? :confused:

"It’s not what we do that makes us holy. We make holy what we do."

Thanks and Peace.

theTaxCollector said:
"It’s not what we do that makes us holy. We make holy what we do."

Part of holiness is having the right purpose behind what we do. This purpose is acting out of love for God and our fellow man.

Someone who dedicates themselves to acting in all things in love for God and his fellow man will usually make what is does holy by how and why he does them.

For instance, look at one act under two different motivations.

Act: Helping in a food kitchen to feed the poor.
Motivation #1: Loving the poor.
Motivation #2: Get paid for the work so that you can have more entertainment in your life.

The first motivation can make the work holy. The second motivation is a self-oriented motivation, so by itself will not make the work holy.

I think that is what the quote is trying to get at.

T.A.Stobie:
Part of holiness is having the right purpose behind what we do. This purpose is acting out of love for God and our fellow man.

Someone who dedicates themselves to acting in all things in love for God and his fellow man will usually make what is does holy by how and why he does them.

For instance, look at one act under two different motivations.

Act: Helping in a food kitchen to feed the poor.
Motivation #1: Loving the poor.
Motivation #2: Get paid for the work so that you can have more entertainment in your life.

The first motivation can make the work holy. The second motivation is a self-oriented motivation, so by itself will not make the work holy.

I think that is what the quote is trying to get at.
I always appreciate your responses to these questions. Great insight, my friend.

BTW: you need to change the link under your name to link to your site.

The Barrister:
BTW: you need to change the link under your name to link to your site.
Thanks, didn’t realize it was broke - fixed it.

Well, I am only 16, so I am not all that knowledgeable, but here goes…

I think that what this quote is saying is that we are not made holy by our works, but by having the right attitude and intention we can make our works holy.

We should do all things as if we are doing them for Our Lord. If we have this attitude, even the seemingly menial things that we do in our daily lives become holy.

Anyway, that’s just what I think.

In Christ’s Love,
Nick

40.png
Benignus:
Well, I am only 16, so I am not all that knowledgeable, but here goes…

I think that what this quote is saying is that we are not made holy by our works, but by having the right attitude and intention we can make our works holy.

We should do all things as if we are doing them for Our Lord. If we have this attitude, even the seemingly menial things that we do in our daily lives become holy.

Anyway, that’s just what I think.

In Christ’s Love,
Nick
You speak with the wisdom of age and, best ot all, the wisdom of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back