One Size Fits All Adult Education

• Thread starter Thread starter OutinChgoburbs
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OutinChgoburbs

I promise to listen and not challenge too much if you disagree and are respectful to me.

I know there is a need for adult catechesis. But what about people who can handle their own educational faith journeys? Why is this all they are offered in parishes? Why is there nothing more in depth? Why is ALWAYS the basics, and never anything beyond that? Or is that all there is, and I’m imaging something that doesn’t exist?

Case in point #1: Why Catholic? by RENEW International. Fine if one doesn’t know what the Catechism teaches (I won’t go into the touchy-feely aspect). But not a great deal of depth. Yet, our bishop is making it madatory in all parishes, and everyone is strongly encouraged to attend (and faculty of Catholic schools seems mandated to attend).

Case in point #2: The catechesis of adults whose children are about to make an initiation sacrament. I discovered today our parish has not one, not two, but three meetings, one of which is a sit-down with our sole priest in a group. Why? I was told because so many people bring their children for sacraments, often skipping the important steps to make themselves “in harmony” with the Church. Fabulous for those folks. What about the rest of us who have a prayer life, take our children with us to Mass every week and then some, know Church teaching, have our marriages in the Church, volunteer, etc.? Why do they have to sit through this? Or are they there to somehow help convert the ones not “in harmony”?

It seems to me that Catholic who are responsible enough to attempt to learn for themselves and keep up on their growth in faith are being penalized and then subjected to what amounts to the same old song, over and over again. It also seems there is nothing in depth offered at parishes.

Sounds like God is calling you to initiate something at your parish. How about Familia–we have it at our parish. Familia studies papal encyclicals by JPII. Now, he is deep.

I agree sacramental prep programs teach to the least educated. I try to view them as penance. 😃 I must bug the facilitator because I try to have some good questions to clarify or bring more depth to the programs. Although, I think the other parents would rather get it over with so they can get home and tuck the kids in.

Here’s a couple of more ideas: Our Father’s Plan by Scott Hahn and Jeff Cavins; a book study group–start with anything by Kreeft.

Our parishes should have several levels of spiritual formation classes, but if resources are limited (personnel, materials), then there will only be the most basic classes. This is necessary. I’m not sure how the Church is doing now, but I think my generation was very very very very…poorly catechized. I think those of us who by the Grace of God have become educated have an obligation to minister to our brothers and sisters by initiating programs which offer several levels of faith formation from basic to advanced. In our diocese, we have had Patrick Madrid and Scott Hahn come and give talks–big turnout. So, there is an interest and a desire.

I have been struggling with this same problem.

In the Case #1 example you gave: Because SOOOoooo many adults are poorly catechised, these people are probably the majority of the congregation. These basic classes meet the needs of these people. In the Case #2 example you gave, to have these parent sessions is the only way the parish can ensure that all the parents are on the same page, so to speak.

I am looking for something more in-depth than what my parish offers. Our Adult Faith Formation is basic. But our parish is small and we don’t have too many people knowledgable enough to teach what I’m looking for. Personally, I’d love it if our priest could teach a class, but he’s way too busy as it is.

40.png
jpjd:
I am looking for something more in-depth than what my parish offers. Our Adult Faith Formation is basic. But our parish is small and we don’t have too many people knowledgable enough to teach what I’m looking for. Personally, I’d love it if our priest could teach a class, but he’s way too busy as it is.
Can’t you guys join up similarly well-catechised members in other parishes, and construct a study group (book club, of a sort)?

THANKS SO MUCH!!! I was going nuts thinking I was a snob. It’s come down to the point where I am studying the footnotes for Why Catholic?.

40.png
OutinChgoburbs:
I

Case in point #1: Why Catholic? by RENEW International. Fine if one doesn’t know what the Catechism teaches (I won’t go into the touchy-feely aspect). But not a great deal of depth. Yet, our bishop is making it madatory in all parishes, and everyone is strongly encouraged to attend (and faculty of Catholic schools seems mandated to attend).
your bishop has determined that most Catholic adults do not know the catechism or the basics and is trying to remedy the situation, and has chosen after careful reflection a program that can be adapted to most parish or school settings, and run with the available resources of most parishes.

Case in point #2: The catechesis of adults whose children are about to make an initiation sacrament. I discovered today our parish has not one, not two, but three meetings, one of which is a sit-down with our sole priest in a group. Why? . . . Why do they have to sit through this?

you are there to support those teaching the class, and the other parents, by your good example as “sponsors” and “mentors” if you will, and obeying the gospel injunction to freely share what you have freely received.

if there is nothing more in depth offered at your parish, maybe it is offered in another setting -another parish, seminary, local Catholic college or monastery etc. Or maybe you should be the one to start something. Hopefully, and maybe your bishop shares this hope, once more adult Catholics are educated in the basics they will begin, as you do, to hunger for more and demand it.

40.png
OutinChgoburbs:
The catechesis of adults whose children are about to make an initiation sacrament. I discovered today our parish has not one, not two, but three meetings, one of which is a sit-down with our sole priest in a group…

…It seems to me that Catholic who are responsible enough to attempt to learn for themselves and keep up on their growth in faith are being penalized and then subjected to what amounts to the same old song, over and over again.
Three meetings in one’s lifetime hardly seems like a penalty.

How would you suggest it be done differently? Ask people if they need the class? You know how many would say “no” just because they can’t be bothered? How many more would say “no” because they think they know it all, when they really don’t?

So there’s a decision to be made: make a class optional, and have even more un-educated Catholics out there, or make the class mandatory in which case the worst thing you’ve done is used up a little someone’s time. Which is the worse-case scenario?

Also, just because one “attempts to learn for themself” doesn’t mean that they’ve learned correctly. That’s the problem with self-education; there’s no one to correct your mistakes.

Personally I agree with puzzleannie - I am a member of the Church, a faithful Catholic who wants to deepen her faith in Christ, but I feel that I can be a part of that process by reaching out to those less catechized and hopefully be an example. I don’t mind sitting through a class that may be mandatory for sacramental preparation or to get the basics of spirituality if I can approach it with an open mind - who knows? I may meet someone who has the same spiritual concerns or may be more knowledgeable in catechisis than I am.

If I am not able to find what I need in my own parish, I check out the diocese to see if there are other programs outside my parish that will suit my own spiritual needs. (I realize this may be a problem for smaller diocese where churches are few and far between.)

Take this as a call to let the Word of God be known - even if it’s in your own parish 🙂

John Russell Jr:
Check out Opus Dei - You’ll love it.

opusdei.org/
I did a quick look around that site. I’ll have to spend more time on it, but for what little I read just now, I loved one tidbit I read:

“I talk about the interior life of ordinary Christians who habitually find themselves in the hubbub of the city, in the light of day, in the street, at work, with their families or simply relaxing; they are centered on Jesus all day long. And what is this except a life of continuous prayer?”

Thanks for the link!

Thank you all. I’m sorry to be so negative on Why Catholic?, primarily because our parish had just gotten things going with Light of the World, and Why Catholic? is kind of shallow after Light of the World. I asked a lot of questions and did a lot of research on Light of the World, and came to the conclusion it was really worth it (and it was!). And as our bishop is friends with the bishop whose diocese where RENEW is located…it wouldn’t be the first time a deal was struck without regard to what was already working in a parish. And our deanery seems to be treated as if it is not really a part of the rest of the diocese quite often, as we are at the end of the map, so to speak, from the cathedral.

As for the kids’ sacramental thing- I don’t want to opt out if I am still raising my grandkids. I want there to be something with a little more depth for people who are properly catechized that deepens their life, that’s all. It’s like those who live a life within the Church are almost penalized for it. Why should those of us with the intellect and the faithfulness be treated as if we are catechetical newbies? Everybody is rushing out to make sure the parents who don’t have regularized marriages or no marriages get things squared away in time for the kids’ First Communion, but in the meantime, the rest of us have to develop our own resources and still sit through the basics. Probably a case of the eldest son and the prodigal son, that “Hey, I’ve been good all my life, and I don’t get anything but the same old song and dance, while he/ she gets the goodies.” Still, it rankles.

I am going to look into developing a book club that doesn’t have the commitment of a LOTW small group, but has more depth than Why Catholic?.

As for the other, if it comes down to it at the time, maybe it’ll decrease my Purgatory time. :gopray2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back