Online Mass: Possibility of Idolatry

• Thread starter Thread starter savedbychrist
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

savedbychrist

Many dioceses worldwide have suspended public Mass, and much online live Mass resources have then been provided. But I do find a potential threat if we treat it like observing Mass in person. Instead of having the Eucharist physically present, we have the Eucharist shown in the live videos. If we revere it in the same way we do in usual Mass participation, wouldn’t this constitute idolatry, since what we were adoring was just an live image of the Eucharist?

Many dioceses worldwide have suspended public Mass, and much online live Mass resources have then been provided. But I do find a potential threat if we treat it like observing Mass in person. Instead of having the Eucharist physically present, we have the Eucharist shown in the live videos. If we revere it in the same way we do in usual Mass participation, wouldn’t this constitute idolatry, since what we were adoring was just an live image of the Eucharist?
Surely not. Unless someone is not in their right mind, they well know the difference between an image on a screen and the real deal.

If someone had a picture of a loved one and gave the picture a kiss because their loved one was far away, you wouldn’t suddenly start worrying that they didn’t know the difference between the picture and the real person, wpuld you?

Last edited:
If you see Jesus , truly see Jesus, wouldn’t you adore Him even if it were on a computer screen? Well that’s what you got there in the Eucharist! And you would be worshipping Him and not the image anyway.

You are not adoring the image itself–the pixels on the screen–but what the image shows. Honor to the image passes to the prototype. St. Thomas explains:
On the contrary, Damascene (De Fide Orth. iv, 16) quotes Basil as saying: “The honor given to an image reaches to the prototype,” i.e. the exemplar. But the exemplar itself—namely, Christ—is to be adored with the adoration of “latria”; therefore also His image.

I answer that, As the Philosopher says (De Memor. et Remin. i), there is a twofold movement of the mind towards an image: one indeed towards the image itself as a certain thing; another, towards the image in so far as it is the image of something else. And between these movements there is this difference; that the former, by which one is moved towards an image as a certain thing, is different from the movement towards the thing: whereas the latter movement, which is towards the image as an image, is one and the same as that which is towards the thing. Thus therefore we must say that no reverence is shown to Christ’s image, as a thing—for instance, carved or painted wood: because reverence is not due save to a rational creature. It follow therefore that reverence should be shown to it, in so far only as it is an image. Consequently the same reverence should be shown to Christ’s image as to Christ Himself. Since, therefore, Christ is adored with the adoration of “latria,” it follows that His image should be adored with the adoration of “latria.”
http://www.newadvent.org/summa/4025.htm#article3

I understand the concern, but no. No internet-based idolatry here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back