Online Video of Tridentine Mass

• Thread starter Thread starter JRJ26
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JRJ26

Hi all. Well, I’m Catholic, 18yrs old. I’m in college(Georgetown University), and after attending the various Novus Ordo Masses on campus, I’ve decided that i’d like to attend a Tridentine Mass for the first time. Now, I honestly don’t have a problem with the NO Mass celebrated properly, and i LOVE my home parish in NY. However, I do tend to prefer more “ceremony” and “pomp” if you will, which is why I also like the Eastern liturgies. So, I am looking to go to St. Mary Mother of God Church in DC sometime soon, possibly just to walk around first, then attend the Mass.
Has anyone attended a Tridentine Mass in Washington, DC? I’m just interested in views on the experience at one of the churches nearby. I know there’s a HUGE Tridentine Church in Baltimore(St. Alphonsus Church) that has the TLM, and wonderful architecture and atmosphere. However, it’s in Baltimore and i’m in DC, sigh. So, St. MMof God Church is the closest.
Also, can anyone provide me with some good links to info on the Tridentine Mass, as well as an online video of the Mass, or an overview video or something similar? Thanks.

40.png
Iohannes:
Check this out:

You can find a Solemn Pontifical Mass celebrated by Bishop Rifan of Campos Brazil, the only TLM Diocese.
vancouver.traditionalmass.net/
The Diocese of Campos, Brazil, is a Latin (or Roman) Catholic Diocese. It is not TLM. There are no TLM Dioceses.

The bishop of this diocese is Bishop Roberto Gomes Guimarães.

The Campos you are thinking of is actually the Society of St. John Vianney in Campos. They were affliated with the SSPX but returned to Rome sometime last year. I believe that they have been set up sort of like the Opus Dei, as a personal prelature.

40.png
JRJ26:
Has anyone attended a Tridentine Mass in Washington, DC? I’m just interested in views on the experience at one of the churches nearby. I know there’s a HUGE Tridentine Church in Baltimore(St. Alphonsus Church) that has the TLM, and wonderful architecture and atmosphere. However, it’s in Baltimore and i’m in DC, sigh. So, St. MMof God Church is the closest.
I just saw this post. I go to the TLM at St. Alphonsus on a fairly regular basis (this Sunday I’m going). I know it’s a bit of a drive to get there from DC, but it would be worth the drive at least once. The Church is absolutely phenomenal in beauty. The Latin Mass is 11:30 on Sundays (1st and 3rd Sundays is a sung High Mass, 2nd and 4th are Low Mass). Their Schola is also pretty good IMO. If you’re not satisfied with the Mass at SMMoG in DC (or they don’t offer High Mass), check out St. Alphonsus.

By the way, St. John Neumann was once pastor at St. Alphonsus. Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos was also a pastor there.

Here are some pictures:

http://www.stalphonsusbalt.org/altarStA1-2.jpg

http://www.stalphonsusbalt.org/stacrucifix.jpg

Sorry to go off topic, but I love this church. Sure as heck beats my plain-jane post-V2 parish church-in-the-round.

No offense, but is Bishop de Paul still with in communion with the Vatican? I haven’t heard much about him except that he’s from Belgium and on that video.

Don’t go to the front page of that website! Especially if you have your speakers at full blast. Don’t get me wrong, I love the original Greek Christ (and then Lord) have Mercy. But if you’re going to use it on a website, use some quality.

40.png
Voice_Of_Reason:
No offense, but is Bishop de Paul still with in communion with the Vatican? I haven’t heard much about him except that he’s from Belgium and on that video.

Don’t go to the front page of that website! Especially if you have your speakers at full blast. Don’t get me wrong, I love the original Greek Christ (and then Lord) have Mercy. But if you’re going to use it on a website, use some quality.
Father de Pauw isn’t a bishop. Pope Paul VI wanted to make him a bishop but he rejected. He started the Catholic Traditionalist Movement in 1964 and had received Pope Paul VI’s blessing to start this chapel and say the Traditional Mass unhindered by present authorities. This priest has never been said to have been in schism.
see here
www.latinmass-ctm.org/about/ourleader/1988.htm

40.png
ByzCath:
The Diocese of Campos, Brazil, is a Latin (or Roman) Catholic Diocese. It is not TLM. There are no TLM Dioceses.

The bishop of this diocese is Bishop Roberto Gomes Guimarães.

The Campos you are thinking of is actually the Society of St. John Vianney in Campos. They were affliated with the SSPX but returned to Rome sometime last year. I believe that they have been set up sort of like the Opus Dei, as a personal prelature.
Incorrect, they are their own diocese, and an Apostolic Administration dedicated to the Traditional Latin Mass.They are operating as a parallel diocese.

40.png
mtr01:
I just saw this post. I go to the TLM at St. Alphonsus on a fairly regular basis (this Sunday I’m going). I know it’s a bit of a drive to get there from DC, but it would be worth the drive at least once. The Church is absolutely phenomenal in beauty. The Latin Mass is 11:30 on Sundays (1st and 3rd Sundays is a sung High Mass, 2nd and 4th are Low Mass). Their Schola is also pretty good IMO. If you’re not satisfied with the Mass at SMMoG in DC (or they don’t offer High Mass), check out St. Alphonsus.

By the way, St. John Neumann was once pastor at St. Alphonsus. Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos was also a pastor there.

Here are some pictures:

Sorry to go off topic, but I love this church. Sure as heck beats my plain-jane post-V2 parish church-in-the-round.
:bigyikes: Trade ya! 😉

40.png
katolik:
Father de Pauw isn’t a bishop. Pope Paul VI wanted to make him a bishop but he rejected. He started the Catholic Traditionalist Movement in 1964 and had received Pope Paul VI’s blessing to start this chapel and say the Traditional Mass unhindered by present authorities. This priest has never been said to have been in schism.
see here
www.latinmass-ctm.org/about/ourleader/1988.htm
Thanks for clarifying! I knew some of the stories online (not on this forum) didn’t make much sense.

Once again, thanks.

40.png
Iohannes:
Incorrect, they are their own diocese, and an Apostolic Administration dedicated to the Traditional Latin Mass.They are operating as a parallel diocese.
Sorry, but this is partially incorrect. They are not a diocese. There is only one diocese, that of Campos which is still under Bishop Roberto Guimaraes. The priests will form the Apostolic Administration of St. Jean Marie Vianney, a form of ecclesiastical circumscription that will be directly under the Pope´s authority. Their bishop is the apostolic administrator.

There is only one bishop (not counting auxiliary bishops) per city. The church does not setup competing diocese within a church.

There is no such thing as a TLM diocese in the Latin (Roman) Church.

For a reference please read tcrnews2.com/schismend.html

thanks all for the help. I definitely want to go to St. Alphonsus, but I’m not sure if the DC metro goes that far, or if I’d be able to get close to the MD metro, so that’ll take some research. I definitely will be going to SMMoG church either tomorrow or next week. The tridentine Mass definitely is what I’ve been looking for, as I’ve been attracted to Eastern liturgies, and I find it very similar. Soon i’ll look for an Eastern Catholic church to attend a Divine Liturgy at(I did go to an OCA Divine Liturgy last year just to observe and compare to NO, and it was wonderful).

40.png
JRJ26:
thanks all for the help. I definitely want to go to St. Alphonsus, but I’m not sure if the DC metro goes that far, or if I’d be able to get close to the MD metro, so that’ll take some research. I definitely will be going to SMMoG church either tomorrow or next week. The tridentine Mass definitely is what I’ve been looking for, as I’ve been attracted to Eastern liturgies, and I find it very similar. Soon i’ll look for an Eastern Catholic church to attend a Divine Liturgy at(I did go to an OCA Divine Liturgy last year just to observe and compare to NO, and it was wonderful).
You should go to the Mass tomorrow. Its the Feast of CHrist the King tomorrow. The Traditional rubrics mandate that their has to be a Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament and Consecration of the Human Race to the Sacred Heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back