Opus Dei, What IS It?

• Thread starter Thread starter Exporter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Exporter

I have been asked what I know about Opus Dei.

I know nothing of this, Please, what is it? Thanks

40.png
Exporter:

Go to this website opusdei.com/

Don’t feel alone, most Catholics would be hard-pressed to be able to define it! 🙂 Two things I know: They are considered conservative and loyal to the magisterium (also have a strong publishing arm and a University in Spain) and they are rumored to be secretive.

Opus Dei is a Personal Prelature, it happens to be the only Personal Prelature. That means it is not a religious order strictly speaking, it is a form of bounderyless organization with it’s own bishop (or bishops) clerics and laypersons, dependant directly on the Holy See. That is an ecclesiastical novelty.

They are very well organized (some critics have claimed cultish) and they pushed very, very hard to have Josemaria Escriva Canonized. As you might know, the cause of a Saint can sometimes be advanced if there is public advocacy for it, and very popular individuals may be declared saints shortly after their death because of the public acclamation. Saint Josemaria Escriva was nowhere near as popular as Mother Theresa, for example, but a determined letter-writing campaign can make it appear so. This is not unusual, all religious orders and local churches promote the causes of favorites.

The Personal Prelature classification was created originally for the Opus Dei organization, so they have pretty much defined it in their own being. But there could be other personal prelatures in the future, and some people have suggested that it could be a model for bringing certain Protestant groups back into the Catholic church, by consecrating bishops for them and allowing them to retain their own network of churches which overlap diocesan limits. The model could possibly work to incorporate SSPX back into the church proper too, although I understand that technically laypeople are not members of SSPX.

I cannot speak about the internal workings or charism of Opus Dei, but I can’t imagine that there are no Opus Dei members on the board here. More information should come up from someone here (unless the rumors about secretiveness are really true :eek:!).

We are everywhere. Check under your bed. Actually they aren’t that hard to find. It is both sad and amusing to read what is said about Opus Dei. If someone asks I tell them about it. It is fun when you mention it to a dissenter. They go totally nuts. Fun to watch.

Code:
40.png
Exporter:

Well, if you ask many progressive Catholics, it’s the worse that has happened to the Church. It is a secretive organization where people’s free will is not respected. If you ask John Paul II, me and millions of orthodox Catholics, it is a wonderful organization supportive of every church teaching, the Magisterium and the Holy Father. Take your pick.

Antonio 🙂

Antonio B:
Code:
If you ask John Paul II, me and millions of orthodox Catholics, it is a wonderful organization supportive of every church teaching, the Magisterium and the Holy Father. Take your pick.

Antonio 🙂
:amen: God Bless you, Antonio, Annunciata:)

It is exactly as Antonio said. People, who have been involved with Opus Dei have very strong feelings about it; either fully for it or vehemently against it.

I’ve always heard positive things about Opus Dei priests. They sound like good men. —KCT

But there could be other personal prelatures in the future, and some people have suggested that it could be a model for bringing certain Protestant groups back into the Catholic church, by consecrating bishops for them and allowing them to retain their own network of churches which overlap diocesan limits.
!!! :eek: !!!

Woah. This is cool. How come it isn’t talked about ALL THE TIME?! A prospect like that is mind blowing! Where is there more info??

Personally the negative spin on Opus Dei could be said about religous orders and even the secular members can have control over the same aspects.

I think that Opus Dei and another tortured group the Legionaires of Christ are attacked because they do much good in the world.

St. Josemaria Escriva has helped my spiriuality greatly. So have the Legionaires – for they created Regnum Christi and they created FAMILIA. (Kind of like the opening of the New Testament, eh?)

Anyway, FAMILIA has been the most wonderful program I have been involved in. Of the women on my family life --7 of eight members have either gotten pregnant or adopted a child in the past year. 15 little lessons and we have embraced the Theology of the Body and the Gospel of Life and here we are bringing more children to the kingdom.

AMDG
Mamamull

Thank You All for such a good 10-minute “education” about the Opus Dei.
If an organization has detractors along with an abundance of well wishers…it must be doing something right!

They remind me of the Society of Jesus in a way. (The Jesuits)

I have purchased books from Scepterpublishers.org, which is a book selling website that supports Opus Dei. They advertise that there’s is the place to buy books dedicated to teaching about it.

I bought a Roman Missal and The Handbook of Prayers from them, plus the RSV-CE Bible. Those books seem to be in line with orthodox Catholic teaching.
Has anyone else purchased material from Scepter Publishers?

Jersey Jeepster:
I have purchased books from Scepterpublishers.org, which is a book selling website that supports Opus Dei. They advertise that there’s is the place to buy books dedicated to teaching about it.

I bought a Roman Missal and The Handbook of Prayers from them, plus the RSV-CE Bible. Those books seem to be in line with orthodox Catholic teaching.
Has anyone else purchased material from Scepter Publishers?
I find Scepter to be 100% reliable, faithful to the magisterium, and a rich source of the classics of spiritual writing. I’ve never regretted a purchase from Scepter.

Betsy

The comparison with the Jesuits is very pertinent: similar accusations were hurled at St Ignatius and the early Society (and, indeed, the later one, until our own time when, sadly, they seem to have succumbed to the Zeitgeist); and the spirituality of Opus Dei is very Jesuit-influenced. My spiritual director is a priest of the Work, and I’ve been on two OD retreats - I can’t tell you how wonderful they were!

Sue

40.png
cestusdei:
We are everywhere. Check under your bed. Actually they aren’t that hard to find. It is both sad and amusing to read what is said about Opus Dei. If someone asks I tell them about it. It is fun when you mention it to a dissenter. They go totally nuts. Fun to watch.
HAY! I got all excited and ran up to check under the bed…all I found was some dustbunnies and a sock my dogs chewed up. What gives??? :confused:

😉

40.png
aimee:
Go to this website opusdei.com/
I have been a Cooperator for a few years now and I can’t speak well enough of the spritual benefits I have received! It’s not for everybody, but check out the above Site and if you are really interested in attending a local group, go to your Chancery Office in your Diocese and ask them to direct you to a group closest to you.
Annunciata:)

40.png
Annunciata:
I have been a Cooperator for a few years now and I can’t speak well enough of the spritual benefits I have received! It’s not for everybody, but check out the above Site and if you are really interested in attending a local group, go to your Chancery Office in your Diocese and ask them to direct you to a group closest to you.
Annunciata:)
Bah, hah, hah! That’ll only happen if you don’t live in an extremely liberal diocese. Our diocese barely allowed you to mention Opus Dei under it’s old bishop. Our new bishop, thankfully, welcomes them.

“You are known by your enemies” couldn’t be more appropriate concerning Opus Dei. LIberals and rad-Trads can’t stand them.

I personally think the reason people think that they are secretive is that they are very low key. They, at leat our locals, don’t want you to feel like they are pressuring you. The funny thing is that it does make it harder to find out about it. I’ve been giving our local members a hard time about it for years!

Their “big thing” is that you can sanctify yourself in your everyday work and we are all called to do this. Even the “big time” saints applied this to their lives. We don’t have to be martyrs, cloistered, etc. We can become saints by offering all we do, laundry, dishes, etc. to God. Evil, huh?! 😉

And now for something different. My Benedictine prayerbook is entitled “Opus Dei” (Work of God). I like to keep things simple, don’t you.

😃 😉

The Midwest Vicar, Fr. Peter Armenio, used to be a chaplain for the Chicago Bears. Can we blame the Bears failure to win a Superbowl in the last 20 years on Opus Dei?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back