Opus Dei

• Thread starter Thread starter RCCDefender
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RCCDefender

I’ve been wondering about this lately… I have heard good things and bad things about Opus Dei. I don’t think there is a group in my area. Does anyone have any info on becoming a member or what they are all about??

40.png
RCCDefender:
I’ve been wondering about this lately… I have heard good things and bad things about Opus Dei. I don’t think there is a group in my area. Does anyone have any info on becoming a member or what they are all about??
I’ve heard the same mixed reports, although the positive reports seem more credible. I do read a lot of Jose Marie Escriva’s writings and often read “In Conversation with God”, a daily meditation written by Frances Fernandez, a member of Opus Dei. Both are fantastic meditations and address growing in holiness as a lay person living in the world. Based on those written materials, I have to give Opus Dei the benefit of the doubt.

40.png
RCCDefender:
I would recommend you go to www.opusdei.org which is the website for Opus Dei in the United States. You may also want to talk with your pastor or a priest you know.

God bless,

Vatican II

40.png
RCCDefender:
Does anyone have any info on becoming a member or what they are all about??
I’ve had a spiritual director and confessor who was an Opus Dei priest, although I myself wasn’t a member. They probably do better at these tasks than the average priest.

They provide a lot of helpful practices open to everybody, from hours of reflection to activities between fathers and sons.

Get in touch with your diocese to check whether there’s an Opus Dei center nearby and check it out. If you are called to getting deeper in their form of spirituality, rest assured that they’re very orthodox and that one center is different from another in its atmosphere and leadership.

:blessyou:

Wow, do a search on Opus Dei in the forums here - there have been some very long threads on this, plus some links to some excellent reviews of all the scuttlebutt…

RCCDefender:

I’m a cooperator with Opus Dei for 6 years and have been participating and assisting with many of the activities and formations for 11 years. In one of the shows from Fox, an Opus Dei preist said something true: Opus Dei has to be seen and experienced. I completely agree with this. Opus Dei is a true blessing and that is exactly why the attacks on it is virulent. It’s not a surprise at all.

What city are you in? That will determine where the closest center is.

in XT.

I’ve heard that the ‘central’ idea of Opus Dei is basically bringing faith into everyday life. Doesn’t sound too bad to me.

My mum reckons that they’re no good, she reckons they are extremists, but she’s always been less conservative than me and my dad anyway. (None of us have actually been involved with Opus Dei though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back