Opus Dei

• Thread starter Thread starter JGheen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JGheen

Has anyone here had any experience with Opus Dei?

Growing up I was exposed to Regnum Christi quite a bit and remember hearing about Opus Dei as a similar type group – although I also remember hearing that Opus Dei was criticized for some questionable practices. Last night on the news in metro-Detroit, there was a teaser for a news story on the “secret cult” Opus Dei. I fell asleep before the story actually aired but it got me curious.

Yes, I have visited a place where the numeraries live. They are not weird or secretive at all. It is different from a convent, though. It is more like family living. They have a different way of spending part of their day in prayer. They don’t do the Office, like a sister/brother would. They do other prayers/devotions, like the rosary. I am not familiar with Regnum Christi, so I can’t do that comparison for you.

Try the search function here at CA. I’ve seen many opus dei threads around over time.

Opus Dei is an international lay Catholic group whose core ideal is the sanctification of work. But critics and some former members have accused the group of having cult-like practices and promoting a right-wing agenda.
Opus Dei was founded in Spain in 1928; today, it has 84,000 members in 80 countries. For many, the group first gained wide attention when it was portrayed in Dan Brown’s best-selling novel, The Da Vinci Code. The thriller depicted the group as a repository for arcane knowledge and fervent – even dangerous – belief.
npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5029154

John Allen, a Vatican reporter, has just published a book about Opus Dei. I heard him today on NPR’s program Fresh Air, with Terry Gross. He did a lot myth-busting, and seems to have done quite a bit of investigation. You can listen to the program (its about 40 minutes long) and read an excerpt from his book at the link I listed.

One interesting note is that Pope John Paul II strongly supported Opus Dei, canonizing its founder and making it a personal prelature.

JGheen:

You’ll be happy to know that the Legionaries founder Fr. Macial Maciel found inspiration for the Legionaries from Opus Dei when he visited Spain. If you’re as orthodox as Regnum Christi, then Opus Dei would be very familiar to you. I’m a coop. with OD and had the pleasure of meeting, working with the Legionaries with a private school. As for orthodoxy and intensity these two are nose to nose.

in XT.

40.png
AquinasXVI:
JGheen:

You’ll be happy to know that the Legionaries founder Fr. Macial Maciel found inspiration for the Legionaries from Opus Dei when he visited Spain. If you’re as orthodox as Regnum Christi, then Opus Dei would be very familiar to you. I’m a coop. with OD and had the pleasure of meeting, working with the Legionaries with a private school. As for orthodoxy and intensity these two are nose to nose.

in XT.
Good to know. Thanks! I read the info on their web site, but it is always nice to have a personal perspective. (And if there was something wrong, it isn’t like they’d publish it on the web site!)

I like the talk of Regnum Christi and Opus Dei working together. It just seems fitting to me. I grew up going to Legionary retreats and am planning on going (again) to their Easter retreat in Connecticut in the spring. I have also been exposed to Opus Dei, and I can say that their charism is very attractive. Opus Dei is Latin for “The Work of God”, and they emphasize sanctifying your daily duties and offering them to God as prayers. This is true Christian living in my mind. I and my girlfriend are both considering membership.

I wouldn’t put too much credit in what popular culture thinks of anything… especially when it comes to its views on the Catholic Church and its members.

I’d encourage anyone who is considering joining a lay apostolate to check out Opus Dei and Regnum Christi. They are both doing wonders for Christ’s people in the world.

God bless,

Agricola

They recently did a news story on Opus Dei in the Detroit area.

Some co-workers, knowing that I’m strongly Catholic, asked me about Opus Dei.

I’m really not sure what their story is. In particular, the self-flaggelation and such. What is going on with that?

What I have heard so far, that makes some sense, is that they came about as a group that wanted to keep the church as it was pre-Vatican II. In particular, not have so much of what was being done in the hands of Lay People. They are a conservative group.

Is there more to learn about them? (Why, of course there is!)

I would like more details, please! :o

Apryl:

There’s a new book out entitled Opus Dei by Allan something. It’s an unbiased secular research into OD.

The other way is to meet OD. Find out where the closest center is and get the schedule of activities and formation.

Regarding the corporal mortification. This forum is full of threads on that, you can find them.

Agricola:

having been exposed to both is a blessing. The charism is very similar. I can’t wait until the Legionaries seminarians are let loose to help clean up the world. I got to know many of them and priests in Dallas. Solid. That’s about all I can say.

in XT.

40.png
Apryl:
What I have heard so far, that makes some sense, is that they came about as a group that wanted to keep the church as it was pre-Vatican II. In particular, not have so much of what was being done in the hands of Lay People. They are a conservative group.
It was not a response to Vatican2. St. Escriva founded it well before that time. (1928 off the top of my head). Althought they are a conservative seeming group, I would not characterize it the way you have concerning laity. It is *for *the laity in a way that was fairly radical at the time. You can read about them somewhat at their own site here.

40.png
Apryl:
What I have heard so far, that makes some sense, is that they came about as a group that wanted to keep the church as it was pre-Vatican II. In particular, not have so much of what was being done in the hands of Lay People.
Uhm, no. St. Josemaria took active part in VII and is regarded as the main drive behind the council’s statement that holiness is an universal call. As a matter of fact, the whole goal of OD is that lay people can grow in holiness.

BTW, no I’ve never been associated with OD, except for having a spiritual director for a couple of years who was an OD priest and who I met in an OD house, where numeraries lived and then I could verify that they’re normal people. 🙂

:blessyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back