Opus Dei

• Thread starter Thread starter Mystagogy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mystagogy

Any ideas on how factual and fair the Opus Dei quote below is?

Just got this from A Word A Day. A.W.A.D is generally neutral on religious matters, but the embedded quote appeared quite uncharitable, if not outright false, on the part of the Skeptical Inquirer, and uncharitable in its inclusion by A.W.A.D.:

cilice (SIL-is) noun

1. An undergarment of haircloth, worm [SIC] by monks in penance.

2. Haircloth.

[From Old English cilic, from Latin cilicium, from Greek kilikion, from

kilikios (Cilician). This cloth was originally made of Cilician goats’

hair. Cilicia was an ancient region in southeast Asia Minor which later

became part of the Roman Empire. It’s now part of southern Turkey.]

No more hairy undergarments now – modern cilices are usually made of

wires and studded with spikes.

Another word that came from the same region is solecism (an error).

It’s derived from the name of Soloi, a city in Cilicia.

"Wearing the cilice, (Louise) Heil said, helps people learn to care less

about their own comfort and more about helping other people."

David Holley; Founder of Opus Dei Becomes Newest Saint; The Los Angeles

Times; Oct 7, 2002.

"He (Silas) wears a cilice, a thong that cuts flesh, around his thigh,

and he flagellates himself bloody as part of a self-purification cult

in accordance to Opus Dei guidelines." Joseph P Szimhart; Fact,

Fiction, and Strained Symbolism; Skeptical Inquirer (Amherst, New

York); May 2004.

I can only say that I was involved with Opus Dei as a “cooperater” for a few years and had a great experience. I’ve heard of this same exageration, and think it is just that. Besides, what’s wrong with a little mortification?

Hi,

Opus Dei members do mortification. But what is written here is a bit far fetched. I have been a cooperator for 15 yrs and know many priests and members. It’s a fantastic organisation. And has and will help huge numbers of people achieve a high degree of sanctity. Why don’t you go to an Opus Dei recollection and see what you think if you haven’t already.Take a look at their website and ask them if you want the full picture www.opusdei.org .http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Yours in Jesus, Mary and Joseph

John

There is nothing wrong with Opus Dei. I attended there meetings in another city I lived in and wish there was Opus Dei where I lived.

It is great to share your faith with others. I think Opus Dei gets a bad rap because people don’t understand it. They think it is secretive when it is really just private. They don’t publicize much about themselves so some believe the lies told against OD.

Honestly I don’t see it as uncharitable, and I don’t know enough to say if it’s exaggerated or not. I certainly wouldn’t be bothered if what is described is true, I’ve heard of much worse healthy mortification in my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back