J
JoshuaNY
Guest
I have a question concerning “graven images”. I beleive as the Lutheran and Catholic churches teach that having a crucifix or statues of the Blessed Virgin or Saints is fine because we are not worshiping them. And we do not beleive that these likenesses do not have any special power of their own. I just had a question concerning Exodus 20:4-5
[BIBLEDRB]Exodus 20: 3-5[/BIBLEDRB]
Now I understand that where it is written ‘carved images, or any likeness’ it means that we should not create these images and then worship them. Some Christians use Exodus 4 as an attack against any sort of statue. I have told people that the commandment is to not worship these images, but some people say there is a seperation between verse 4 and 5 because their is punctuation between the sentences. And I am of the understanding that it is all one complete commandment. Is my understanding correct, that one must keep 3-5 all together to understand what God was saying?
How would you explain it?
[BIBLEDRB]Exodus 20: 3-5[/BIBLEDRB]
Now I understand that where it is written ‘carved images, or any likeness’ it means that we should not create these images and then worship them. Some Christians use Exodus 4 as an attack against any sort of statue. I have told people that the commandment is to not worship these images, but some people say there is a seperation between verse 4 and 5 because their is punctuation between the sentences. And I am of the understanding that it is all one complete commandment. Is my understanding correct, that one must keep 3-5 all together to understand what God was saying?
How would you explain it?