Orders for Marrieds

• Thread starter Thread starter Scout
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scout

Can anyone recommend some orders for marrieds, or perhaps some websites that I can check out?

Thanks for your help.

scout :tiphat:

40.png
Scout:
Can anyone recommend some orders for marrieds, or perhaps some websites that I can check out?

Thanks for your help.

scout :tiphat:
…lost me bub… what type of orders?

40.png
Brain:
order like: Do the dishes!

or order like: Dominican
Orders like Dominicans and Franciscans, of course. I know there are lay orders and orders for marrieds. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about them.

Scout :tiphat:

There are many lay people around here in Secular Orders (aka Third Orders) . . . Franciscans, Benedictines, Carmelites etc.

Do you have specific questions? Also, there have been alot of threads on Secular Orders in the Spirituality Forum that can provide some good background info.

Dave.

Regnum Christi, Opus Sangelorum, Opus Dei.

All are very good orders and have the laity busy in the church and building the kingdom for Christ.

The Order of the Permanent Diaconate for men. If accepted into formation, the wife of the candidate must attend the classes with her husband. Some of the deacon’s wives minister with them in programs such as: marriage prep, religious ed, prison ministry. Before and after Ordination, there are classes available to enhance personal spirituality.

several married couples belong the Benedictine Oblate group, and we also have Secular Franciscans nearby who include married couples. best thing is to find members of third orders near you and find out from them what their programs consist of.

Thanks for the info everyone. You’ve all been a big help. 😃

Here are some links for you.

memorare.com/reform/third.html

Someone else mentioned opusangelorum.org/

And, opusdei.org/

I’m exploring the Third Order Carmelites in my area and it was difficult to find them. I went to a regular Carmelite Monastery and got the contact from them. You will find many other websites for the Secular or Third Order Carmelites, Benedictines, Dominicans, Franciscans, etc., but not all chapters have their own website. Mine didn’t.

Also, here is some general info in an article published by the Denver Archbishop, Chaput.

archden.org/dcr/archive/20000712/2000071207ln.htm

40.png
Lux_et_veritas:
Here are some links for you.

memorare.com/reform/third.html

Someone else mentioned opusangelorum.org/

And, opusdei.org/

I’m exploring the Third Order Carmelites in my area and it was difficult to find them. I went to a regular Carmelite Monastery and got the contact from them. You will find many other websites for the Secular or Third Order Carmelites, Benedictines, Dominicans, Franciscans, etc., but not all chapters have their own website. Mine didn’t.

Also, here is some general info in an article published by the Denver Archbishop, Chaput.

archden.org/dcr/archive/20000712/2000071207ln.htm
Wow! Thanks a ton! These links are great!😃 :bowdown2:

No problem. Take your time browsing and sending them emails to learn more. I’m still getting replies back from some organizations after having settled on T.O. Carmelites. I have a contemplative nature and an affinity for St. John of the Cross writings and other mystics and that fits well with them.

As a married couple you may find Opus Dei a good fit as it is something that is truly done together. Don’t let the bad press get in the way because sometimes a good thing is the most hammered publicly. Find out if they have any chapters in your local area and just visit.

40.png
Lux_et_veritas:
No problem. Take your time browsing and sending them emails to learn more. I’m still getting replies back from some organizations after having settled on T.O. Carmelites. I have a contemplative nature and an affinity for St. John of the Cross writings and other mystics and that fits well with them.

As a married couple you may find Opus Dei a good fit as it is something that is truly done together. Don’t let the bad press get in the way because sometimes a good thing is the most hammered publicly. Find out if they have any chapters in your local area and just visit.
I don’t know that Opus Dei would be good for me if it’s done with the spouse. My spouse is a non-Catholic. I’m basically just looking for something for myself right now.

Thanks for your help and your (name removed by moderator)ut. I’m very grateful. 😃

40.png
Scout:
I don’t know that Opus Dei would be good for me if it’s done with the spouse. My spouse is a non-Catholic. I’m basically just looking for something for myself right now.

Thanks for your help and your (name removed by moderator)ut. I’m very grateful. 😃
Ohhhh - I thought you were looking for something to do as a couple.

Opus Dei does not need to be inclusive of the spouse.

I would encourage you to take at least 6 months or more to explore and learn the details of each of the various orders or apostolates that appeal to you. Know the minimum requirements and explore whether it will hinder your committment as a husband, or as a father, if you are one.

40.png
Lux_et_veritas:
Ohhhh - I thought you were looking for something to do as a couple.

Opus Dei does not need to be inclusive of the spouse.

I would encourage you to take at least 6 months or more to explore and learn the details of each of the various orders or apostolates that appeal to you. Know the minimum requirements and explore whether it will hinder your committment as a husband, or as a father, if you are one.
No, I’m not a husband or father. But I am a wife and mother. 😉

40.png
Scout:

Do check out the Confraternity of Penitents. www.penitents.org

Just to clarify one point-- Opus Dei is not a religious order. Members of Opus Dei are lay people through and through-- no vows, no habits, etc.

Also, in line with what was previously said-- joining it is a purely personal decision made by a husband or wife in light of his or her vocation. There are plenty of people in the Work where it’s just one or the other that belongs.

In addition to www.opusdei.org you can also get a good basic sense of the spirituality of the Work by reading the writings of its founder, St. Josemaria Escriva, at www.escrivaworks.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back