Origins of the Rosary

• Thread starter Thread starter FuzzyBunny116
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FuzzyBunny116

I’ve heard to origins of the Rosary-that Our Lady gave it directly to St. Dominic, or that it developed from another series of prayers (I believe the Catholic tracts support that one, actually) What do you think? Where did it come from? Is there any conclusive evidence?

40.png
Wildgraywolf:
This link might help answer your questons: mostholyrosary.org/origin_purpose_power.html
What a beautiful, as well as very helpful site!! Thank you for posting this link!

I didn’t vote because I didn’t agree with the two options. I believe that the Rosary was in existence before St. Dominic, as other’s stated, and it was longer; containing 15 Decades. I believe that Our Lady appeared to St. Dominic insturcting him to popularize the rosary. Which he did.

Prayer beads were used in the Eastern Church also. A chotki is a set of prayer beads made to a specific number of resitations. The chotki is used for saying and meditationg on the Jesus Prayer.
“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on Me, a SInner.”

Originally the chotki was created after the prayer was first said while counting little pebbles. Thus the use of beads instead of pebbles became the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back