OT punishment through generations

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeteZaHut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PeteZaHut

Guest
Why did God punish people’s descendants for the transgressions of the ancestors?
 
It might help if you fleshed out your question a bit. What are you talking about?
 
I can’t think of a particular passage. But it seems like, in the OT, God often threatens punishment down to the third or fourth generation, for example.
 
The times that come to my mind when I think about something like this are not so much personal sins but when the nation fell into idolatry and God allows them to be conquered by a foreign invader.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind:
  1. God is more fair and more merciful than we could ever be.
  2. God knows all the ‘ifs.’ By that I mean that God knows what we would have done had things been different.
  3. We are all sinners and deserve nothing from God. That which we do get is from God’s mercy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top