Our Father

• Thread starter Thread starter walter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

walter

Can anyone tell me why - for thine is the Kingdom etc. is omitted from the Our Father in the Catholic prayer.
Thank you

Because they were not words that were uttered by our Lord. That doxology is made up of laudable sentiments that were expressed centuries before our Lord appeared on earth. They are found in 1 Paralipomenon 29:11-12 (called1 Chronicles in the Protestant Bible):

“Thine, O Lord, is magnificence and power, and glory, and victory: and to Thee is praise: for all that is in heaven, and in earth, is Thine: Thine is the kingdom, O Lord, and Thou art above all princes.Thine are riches, and Thine is glory…”

http://www.catholicapologetics.net/apolo_131.htm

Chickamauga … Good Answer!

CCC 2761, CCC 2771. See St. Matthew 6:v 9 - 13.
Notice the ending in older Bibles…“from the evil one”.

Thanks! I’ve been wodnering about that for ages too. Now it disturbs me that the version often sung in the church is the protestant version.

I think that doxology was sung after the Our Father during Catholic mass long before the Protestant reformation. It’s not a Protestant invention, or a Protestant version of the prayer. Rather for the Protestants it is a Catholic holdover. I think properly it belongs in the context of the Mass, so I’m not sure about it’s use outside of Mass. It’s a nice sentiment, but as other posters have said it’s not part of the prayer as taught by Christ in the gospels of Matthew and Luke.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
[2855](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/2855.htm’)😉 The final doxology, “For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours, now and forever,” takes up again, by inclusion, the first three petitions to our Father: the glorification of his name, the coming of his reign, and the power of his saving will. But these prayers are now proclaimed as adoration and thanksgiving, as in the liturgy of heaven.176 The ruler of this world has mendaciously attributed to himself the three titles of kingship, power, and glory.177 Christ, the Lord, restores them to his Father and our Father, until he hands over the kingdom to him when the mystery of salvation will be brought to its completion and God will be all in all.178

176 Cf. Rev 1:6; 4:11; 5:13.
177 Cf. Lk 4:5-6.
178 1 Cor 15:24-28.

Some manuscripts of Sacred Scripture contain that portion of the Lord’s prayer in the NT, and some manuscripts of Sacred Scripture (most) do not. It is not a “Protestant version” as these manuscripts of Sacred Scripture that contain these words *pre-date *Protestantism.

Most Scripture scholars (Protestants included) have concluded that it is likely a (Catholic) copyist’s marginal notation that was erroneously incorporated into the text of later (Catholic) manuscripts. The copyist was likely making a notation based upon the doxology of the Catholic liturgy.

So, this is what likely occurred: it was a part of the Catholic liturgy first, then a marginal note of a manscript of Scripture, then copied erroneously into the text of Scripture. Ironically, this is Catholic in origin, coming from the liturgical doxology which itself is based upon other parts of Scripture.

Those who call this the “protestant version” are misinformed. It’s completely Catholic, and based upon Scripture and Tradition. Textual criticism suggest that it was not likely part of the prayer the Lord gave us in the NT, but this is just an educated guess, based upon the evidence of all the extant manuscripts, giving greater authority to the majority and the older manuscripts.

So, a Catholic can rest assured that when they pray this ancient liturgical doxology, they are affirming Catholic tradition as handed on in the Catholic liturgy. You can also smile at those Protestants you hear pray these words, as these so-called “Bible only” Christians are ironically praying a doxology from Catholic liturgy.

40.png
itsjustdave1988:
Some manuscripts of Sacred Scripture contain that portion of the Lord’s prayer in the NT, and some manuscripts of Sacred Scripture (most) do not. It is not a “prostant version” as these manuscripts of Sacred Scripture that contain these words *pre-date *protestantism.

Most Scripture scholars (Protestants included) have concluded that it is likely a copyist’s marginal notation that was erroneously incorporated into the text of later manuscripts. The copyist was likely making a notation based upon the doxology of the Catholic liturgy.

So, this is what likely occurred: it was a part of the Catholic liturgy first, then a marginal note of a manscript of Scripture, then copied erroneously into the text of Scripture. Ironically, this is Catholic in origin, coming from the liturgical doxology which itself is based upon other parts of Scripture.

Those who call this the “protestant version” are misinformed. It’s completely Catholic, and based upon Scripture and Tradition. Textual criticism suggest that it was not likely part of the prayer the Lord gave us in the NT, but this is just an educated guess, based upon the evidence of all the extant manuscripts, giving greater authority to the majority and the older manuscripts.
Several of my older Protestant versions/translations of the Bible acknowledge that the doxology was a “gloss” that doesn’t appear in the oldest manuscripts.

The KJV has this “extended” version of the Lord’s prayer. It is based upon the *textus receptus, *which resulted from the work of a Dutch Roman Catholic priest and Greek scholar, Desiderius Erasmus, who published his first Greek New Testament in 1516, which itself was based mostly upon two (rather inferior) twelfth century Greek manuscripts.

40.png
JKirkLVNV:
Several of my older Protestant versions/translations of the Bible acknowledge that the doxology was a “gloss” that doesn’t appear in the oldest manuscripts.
I think many Protestants understand this. However there are also those fundies out there who are KJV-only who don’t seem to understand where they received their Bible. The seem to think “authorized version” means authorized by God Himself, as if it fell from heaven like manna. It was actually the King of England, not God, who is the one who “authorized” this Anglican Bible, translated by Anglicans from Catholic and Jewish manuscripts.

Actually, according to Fr. Oscar Lukefahr’s book "WE WORSHIP—A GUIDE TO THE CATHOLIC MASS " (Available here: amm.org/chss/chss.htm) it is a doxology from The Didache. How it found it’s way into the KJV is beyond my capacity to figure, but it also shows that they know little about the canon since they include it. It just totally freaks out folks from the KJV only camp when I show 'em that. (We Catholics are such heretics!) :rolleyes:

When I pray my Rosary, I sometimes (somewhat automatically) add in my Lord’s Prayer the following doxology from the Catholic Mass:

“Deliver us Lord from every evil and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ. For the Kingdom and the power and the glory are yours, now and forever.”

The Our Father as recited in the Divine Liturgy goes…

PEOPLE: Our Father Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
PRIEST: For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and always and for ever and ever.

PEOPLE: Amen

CCC, 2761. The Lord’s Prayer “is the summary of the whole Gospel”.

After the Lord handed over the practice of prayer, said elsewhere , “Ask and you will recieve”. Since everyone has petitions which are particular to his own circumstances, the regular, and appropriate prayer {The Lord’s Prayer} is said first, as the foundation of further desires.

CCC 2763 “The Lord’s Prayer” is the most perfect of prayers.

CCC2765 The Lord’s Prayer "oratio Dominica" - means that the prayer to Our Father is taught and given to us by the Lord Jesus.

CCC2766 This gift , the prayer, was prayed by the first communities three times a day in place of the “Eighteen Benedictions” customary in Jewish piety.:yup:

I would like to thank everyone for their contribution to this thread.
The question was asked at an RCIA meeting by an Anglican girl converting to the Catholic faith wanting to know why we didn’t say it. My answer was that I thought that it was added at a later time.
So I thought that I would asked the more educated.
Walter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back