Our Lady's birthday celebration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ClamDigger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ClamDigger

Guest
I hope this is the proper place to post this question! If not, I apologize forum moderators! :o

Why don’t we celebrate Our Lady’s birthday with as much… for lack of a better word… pomp as we do her Immaculate Conception?

Thank you in advance for any answers I may receive! 🙂
 
I hope this is the proper place to post this question! If not, I apologize forum moderators! :o

Why don’t we celebrate Our Lady’s birthday with as much… for lack of a better word… pomp as we do her Immaculate Conception?

Thank you in advance for any answers I may receive! 🙂
The birthday is considered in the Church the day of the death, when the soul enters the eternal life. The traditional fest of out Lady with full glory is the Assumption. The Immaculate Conception is celebrated with pomp due to the relatively new dogma.

There are only two three individuals whose physical birthday is celebrated: Jesus, his mother and St John Baptist, so simple the fact that it is celebrated is exception.
 
I hope this is the proper place to post this question! If not, I apologize forum moderators! :o

Why don’t we celebrate Our Lady’s birthday with as much… for lack of a better word… pomp as we do her Immaculate Conception?

Thank you in advance for any answers I may receive! 🙂
Another thing that pops into my mind is the fact that everyone has a birthday, but not everyone is immaculately conceived (at least not me!).
 
My $0.02: We celebrate Mary’s birthday to remember that she was born without original sin.

We celebrate the Immaculate Conception to remember the miracle that God performed in keeping Mary free from original sin and choosing her from the beginning of time to be the mother of His Son.

Because the former would be meaningless without the latter, the Immaculate Conception gets the “pomp”.😃
 
I hope this is the proper place to post this question! If not, I apologize forum moderators! :o

Why don’t we celebrate Our Lady’s birthday with as much… for lack of a better word… pomp as we do her Immaculate Conception?

Thank you in advance for any answers I may receive! 🙂
If you didn’t know, there is, in fact, a Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary on September 8 (nine months after the Immaculate Conception).

Like you, I’ve sometimes wondered about the things the Church has chosen to emphasize. Why do we bow (or genuflect) during the Creed at the line which describes how Jesus became man, instead of at the line about his death and resurrection? Is the Incarnation really that much more important than the Crucifixion and Resurrection? And if it is, then on March 25 how come we focus so greatly on the Annunciation (dealing with Mary) and practically ignore the Incarnation itself? Doesn’t make very much sense.
 
My $0.02: We celebrate Mary’s birthday to remember that she was born without original sin.

We celebrate the Immaculate Conception to remember the miracle that God performed in keeping Mary free from original sin and choosing her from the beginning of time to be the mother of His Son.

Because the former would be meaningless without the latter, the Immaculate Conception gets the “pomp”.😃
This makes a lot of sense! I feel like I understand a little better now!
Mark Thompson:
If you didn’t know, there is, in fact, a Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary on September 8 (nine months after the Immaculate Conception).
I knew September 8 was celebrated as her birthday because we always made a kind of big deal in it in my house growing up (to the extent of baking a cake and singing “Happy Birthday” to the Blessed Mother!) but it never seemed like the Church, or anyone else that I talked to really, made… er… “as big a deal” out of it as my family did. I guess it’s just a family thing. Hahaha 😃
Mark Thompson:
Like you, I’ve sometimes wondered about the things the Church has chosen to emphasize. Why do we bow (or genuflect) during the Creed at the line which describes how Jesus became man, instead of at the line about his death and resurrection? Is the Incarnation really that much more important than the Crucifixion and Resurrection? And if it is, then on March 25 how come we focus so greatly on the Annunciation (dealing with Mary) and practically ignore the Incarnation itself? Doesn’t make very much sense.
I feel like TheDoctor’s answer to my original question in part answers some of your questions (hence the reason I combined responses)! We celebrate the Immaculate Conception with more of a “show” because the birth wouldn’t mean as much without it. In the same way, Jesus’ death and resurrection wouldn’t have happened without his Incarnation and the Incarnation wouldn’t have happened without Mary’s submission to the message of the Angel! 🙂
 
The birthday is considered in the Church the day of the death, when the soul enters the eternal life. The traditional fest of out Lady with full glory is the Assumption. The Immaculate Conception is celebrated with pomp due to the relatively new dogma.

There are only two three individuals whose physical birthday is celebrated: Jesus, his mother and St John Baptist, so simple the fact that it is celebrated is exception.
This makes sense. Thank you! 🙂
 
If you didn’t know, there is, in fact, a Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary on September 8 (nine months after the Immaculate Conception).

Like you, I’ve sometimes wondered about the things the Church has chosen to emphasize. Why do we bow (or genuflect) during the Creed at the line which describes how Jesus became man, instead of at the line about his death and resurrection? Is the Incarnation really that much more important than the Crucifixion and Resurrection? And if it is, then on March 25 how come we focus so greatly on the Annunciation (dealing with Mary) and practically ignore the Incarnation itself? Doesn’t make very much sense.
My guess is because the Creed was intended to outline the professed faith of the Christian faith, with emphasis on the incarnation as the Creed was written at the time the Arian heresy was widely popular and accepted in many circles.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top