Papal tiara

  • Thread starter Thread starter kesa82
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This link isn’t working on my computer. I can’t see the picture.😦
Try again. It’s working for me. Alternatively, punch “papal coat of arms” into Google, then click on the Images search at the top.
 
I still say that in the balance, the setting aside of the Triregnum was a good thing, itself an important symbol.
I know that you’re not in favor of total minimalism, but what was so great about setting aside the tiara? I think at best that it was a irrelevant move. The Faithful would support the Pope’s decision no matter what (as I do with the decision to get rid of it, even though I don’t like it) and it seems that the only people who have a big problem with this kind of stuff are the kind of people whose sensibilities don’t need to be kowtowed to.
 
I know that you’re not in favor of total minimalism, but what was so great about setting aside the tiara? I think at best that it was a irrelevant move. The Faithful would support the Pope’s decision no matter what (as I do with the decision to get rid of it, even though I don’t like it) and it seems that the only people who have a big problem with this kind of stuff are the kind of people whose sensibilities don’t need to be kowtowed to.
The ACT of setting it aside is as symbolic as the triregnum itself.

If we’re entitled to opinions on symbols (as opposed to realities, like the Real Presence), IMHO the triregnum symbolized an earthly temporality that Pope Paul VI did well to set aside. That’s just my opinion, but you’ll note that I’m not dismissive of those who think the triregnum is a grand idea. And there may come a time when the popes, in their prudential judgement, may feel the need to take it up again.
 
The ACT of setting it aside is as symbolic as the triregnum itself.

If we’re entitled to opinions on symbols (as opposed to realities, like the Real Presence), IMHO the triregnum symbolized an earthly temporality that Pope Paul VI did well to set aside.
The thing is, the pope is STILL the head of a state, no? A state that sits and votes on the UN, has a diplomatic bureaucracy, its own post office, and even a tiny ‘army.’ So whether Paul VI liked it or not, he DID possess an earthly temporality.

That being said, once a gesture like this is made, it’s hard to go back. Any pope who decided to don the tiara again could not merely cloud the decision in ‘tradition’ or that he was ‘just doing what all the other popes did/’ He would be making a conscious, proactive decision to restart an abandoned tradition, and such he would be calling even MORE attention to the temporal symbolism.

In this regard, I agree with you–such a move would be imprudent at best.

Maybe instead of the tiara, popes should start wearing a more distinctive mitre?
 
The Vatican is merely an observer, not a voting member at the UN.
Point taken. My main point is that the pope is the head of a sovereign state, so he does have real life temporal authority. Thus, the symbolism of a tiara is appropriate, though almost certainly imprudent to emphasize.
 
Point taken. My main point is that the pope is the head of a sovereign state, so he does have real life temporal authority. Thus, the symbolism of a tiara is appropriate, though almost certainly imprudent to emphasize.
Your point is also taken. BUT…his role as head (monarch, in fact, so a tiara certainly isn’t out of the question) of Vatican City State is not his primary function nor is it what the world recognizes him for primarily. For that function (and for the One on Who’s behalf he functions), the tiara could actually be counter productive.
 
I wouldn’t take the tiara primarily as a symbol of the Pope’s temporal authority, as in ruler of the Papal States which now only entails Vatican City. He’s also the Father of Princes and Kings, Ruler of the World, Vicar on Earth of our Savior Jesus Christ, as the old coronation text went.

I would agree, it would be kinda pointless to bring back the tiara just because the Pope is monarch of a dinky little state but I think his office of Vicar of Christ and ultimate earthly authority (moral authority anyway) over all men would be worth it. However, I’m not losing any sleep over it.
 
…his role as head (monarch, in fact, so a tiara certainly isn’t out of the question) of Vatican City State is not his primary function nor is it what the world recognizes him for primarily…the tiara could actually be counter productive.
The world has never recognized the Pope as primarily a temporal ruler, not even back when he had his Tiara…the Pope has always been the Pope first and everything second… The tiara’s spiritual value has always outweighed its temporal value.

The one-tiered version of the tiara was in use before the Pope even had that much temporal power.

And finally…who gives a hoot?

We catholics know the real meaning…so there shouldnt be anything wrong with the Pope donning the Triple crown again.
 
I always wondered why they stopped wearing it. I mean, its not like they wore it 24/7. I’d like to see a Pope crowned at least once before I die…And I’m not sure I count.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
I agree with the suggestion that perhaps the pope should begin wearing a more distinctive mitre. Perhaps, along with the Fisherman’s Ring, upon his election the pope would recieve a unique mitre, that would be easily distinguishable as his. I was just thinking the other day, perhaps the Church could “update” some of the vestments.
 
If the popes started wearing sackcloth and ashes, there would be plenty of people calling them hypocrites and this, that and the other thing.
Interestingly enough, Pope Paul VI used to wear a hairshirt underneath his vestments during Lent in his Reign. He was, of course, the very same pope who laid aside the tiara. I for one, don’t mind the papal tiara.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top