F
Flavius_Aetius
Guest
It just always seemed like a bad parable to me…
Then as a meaning I have looked it up and it seems to mean people should give out the most of our ability in faith. But what if we only have one talent?! What if we’re barely dangling to our faith; having to keep it sheltered out of fear that we’ll fall in our attempts to reach out to others.
It all seems selfish of the Master and completely unfair…I suppose that would describe God well enough though…
As a parable itself, what right does the Master have to be so cruel? (Other than being a greedy tyrant) When you leave your servants money it’d would be expected you’d get back exactly what you gave them; it should not be an obligation that the Master expected them to double his funds when he returned; just to keep his money safe. Not only this but the servant says he did this out of fear, if he was actually slothful and simply did not want to work the money it would of mention it (as it was mentioned that Judas only wanted to sell the perfumes for his own gain).Matthew 25: 14 - 30
14 "For it will be as when a man going on a journey called his servants and entrusted to them his property;
15 to one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away.
16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them; and he made five talents more.
17 So also, he who had the two talents made two talents more.
18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master’s money.
19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them.
20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying,Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.' 21 His master said to him,Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a little, I will set you over much; enter into the joy of your master.’
22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying,Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.' 23 His master said to him,Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a little, I will set you over much; enter into the joy of your master.’
24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying,Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not winnow; 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.' 26 But his master answered him,You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sowed, and gather where I have not winnowed?
27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest.
28 So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has the ten talents.
29 For to every one who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away.
30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness; there men will weep and gnash their teeth.’
Then as a meaning I have looked it up and it seems to mean people should give out the most of our ability in faith. But what if we only have one talent?! What if we’re barely dangling to our faith; having to keep it sheltered out of fear that we’ll fall in our attempts to reach out to others.
It all seems selfish of the Master and completely unfair…I suppose that would describe God well enough though…