Patron Saints

  • Thread starter Thread starter Immacolata
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Immacolata

Guest
I apologize if this is in the wrong category; I have read previous patron saint threads and they have been in here. I, myself, have two questions regarding patron saints (I apologize if they have been asked before) for Confirmation:

Although I have not had my Confirmation yet, I have chosen my patron saints already — Our Lady and St. Bernadette. Is it allowed to choose two patron saints? I have always had an affinity for Our Lady, and, recently, I have felt greatly inspired by the life of St. Bernadette. May I choose two names for Confirmation? I plan to write it as Mary-Bernarde.

My second question is, may I choose these names at all? I’m a boy, and I do not know if it is allowed to choose names of the opposite gender for Confirmation. Is it permitted, or must I choose only saint names of my own gender (my older brothers, who have been confirmed, chose male names)?

Thank you all for any answer; again, I apologize if these questions have been asked before (I’m sure they have) and if this is in the wrong category. God bless.
 
I am not sure of this myself, and would also like to know. I am a female and I plan on taking Damien for my name, after Saint Damien of Molokai…
 
I believe that your Confirmation name can be a combination of more than one saint, and the name you’ve chosen sounds beautiful. Yes, you may choose a patron saint of the opposite gender; I’m a woman but I chose St. Francis de Sales. 🙂
 
The fact that your proposed confirmation name is that of a patron saint of the opposite sex is no more relevant than his /her nationality/ethnic group-if you want to take her name then so be it( I don’t recall my own confirmation name- but if I knew then about what I now know about my favoured patron saint, St Priscilla- I’d cheerfully have have taken her name even though I’m a black male and she’s a white(Jewish) woman!

Terry
 
I don’t think that you should find any trouble combining patron saints or having them of the opposite gender. When in doubt, ask your spiritual councilor. They know a lot more than I do about these things 😛
 
Quite alright to do so. 🙂 I have two names myself…Faustina Francis. One is female and the other male. 🙂
 
I did - I’m a boy, and I chose St Cecilia, or rather, she chose me, since our patrons also choose us. My Patron for baptism is St Pius X,
so, I end up translating the names to being Pius = pious
Cecilia = Blind
I’m pious and I’m blind. Hence, I hope I will fulfil prophesy - ‘blessed are those who see not, but believe’. 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top