Paul's Conversion

• Thread starter Thread starter MariaG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MariaG

These are from questions on the Charasmatic thread. In order not to pollute it, I will answer in this new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysty101
What about the conversion of St Paul?
posted by gnome
are you saying God took away St. Paul’s free will during his conversion? which means the Church’s teaching is not inline with the Scripture? Even Mary was asked and She said Yes!
Quote:
posted by MariaG
I don’t think that is what she was saying. I think she was saying that Paul certainly didn’t pray to be converted and the one person wasn’t praying to be slain in the Spirit, but both happened because they truly were open to serving God.
Quote:
posted by gnome
Maria,
how can St.Paul be truly open to serving God when he is not converted yet?
So when we are truly open to serving God, we can lose our free will, not in control of our conscience, choices, and God decides for
us. I don’t think so. This is heresy called quietism.
Paul had not converted to Christianity, but Paul most certainly was a fervent servant of God. He was a Jewish man who was defending the One true God against what he understood to be heresy.

I never said he lost his free will. You are the one saying that. Paul freely became a follower of Christ. But just because he was not a follower of Christ until his conversion does NOT mean he was not a devoted servant of God who was open and willing to do His will.

God Bless,
Maria

Paul was free to reject Christ if he wanted. He didn’t have to do what Christ said, or go into the desert for years etc etc.

But it does seem that some people receive an almost overwhelming grace or compulsion to pray, join the Church etc. However I accept free will. But God sometimes gives such a powerful nudge you could be excused for thinking that the person was, to quote the Apostle, a predestinate soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back