Paying a contractor that didn't finish his job?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Adamski
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adamski

Guest
I would like guidence on making sure I am giving someone an honest days wage.

I own a small contracting business and I hired a carpenter to build
A deck for a client of mine

1-He gave me a set price of 13,500. Including all materials and labor
2- I asked him how he got to this amount he said he marked up materials 15% and charge 65 an hour
3- I said it seemed really high and asked if I could have an employee of mine assist him, he said yes and my employee helped him for 32 labor hours
4-the sub would only come about. 2-4 hours a day and my client complained.
5-the sub forgot to buy 700$ of the materials so I bought them
6-- we moved all the materials to the back yard for 4 hours
7-the sub left a huge mess and we picked it up and brought it to the dump 4 hours
8- the sub left a small amount not complete and we finished. 4 hours

He sent me a bill for 13,500

I was going to mail him a check minus my companies hours and the materials we purchased, which is going to be around 10,000 I know he will think he was wronged and be very angry with me.

I want to make sure I am doing the right thing ethically
 
Ethically, I wouldn’t have a problem with your proposal, but you should consult with a lawyer to make sure you are covered legally, those pesky contracts you know. 😊
 
I know he will think he was wronged and be very angry with me.
Adamski -

I have some familiarity with home builders through work. I would not assume that he will think he was wronged, let alone angry. He may have hoped for the best and assumed less. Contractors are a motley crew. I would start at $13500 and show in detail the deductions that you took to get down to $10,000. Let him argue over the numbers & detail. Your position seems solid enough. That said, the two of you should have had a clear understanding of the value of the labor you were performing. Seems fair to value it the same as he did.

I don’t see any issues here but that doesn’t mean he won’t be grumpy. Denial is possible or even likely. If you can reconstruct the hours day by day of your labor that would be even better.

Pork (me) n Pie (my sweet wife)
 
There is no signed contract

Also I also have detailed hours and receipts

Thanks for your response I am always wanting to make sure I do all that is ethical because a number of times I have and the other party has seen it much differently

Thank for the feed back
 
Adamski -

I have some familiarity with home builders through work. I would not assume that he will think he was wronged, let alone angry. He may have hoped for the best and assumed less. Contractors are a motley crew. I would start at $13500 and sh***ow in detail ***the deductions that you took to get down to $10,000. Let him argue over the numbers & detail. Your position seems solid enough. That said, the two of you should have had a clear understanding of the value of the labor you were performing. Seems fair to value it the same as he did.

I don’t see any issues here but that doesn’t mean he won’t be grumpy. Denial is possible or even likely. If you can reconstruct the hours day by day of your labor that would be even better.
I agree; this is a very prudent and fair course of action. He deviated from the original agreement, not you. As long as you have documented everything, morally speaking you’re on solid ground.
 
There is no signed contract

Also I also have detailed hours and receipts

Thanks for your response I am always wanting to make sure I do all that is ethical because a number of times I have and the other party has seen it much differently

Thank for the feed back
You can have a verbal agreement without a signed contract but having a piece of paper eliminates he said, she said. I’ve run into more than one contractor in my life who had amnesia despite a verbal understanding…having it in writing always helps. But you know this already. You have to be fair to them but likewise, they have to be fair to you and when needed stand up for yourself…that you are being treated fairly 😉
 
Your proposal is sound, and fair. That doesn’t mean he’ll be happy about it. People who tend to be lazy, not follow through, and let others complete their tasks are selfish. They often feel entitled, and get angry if the whole world doesn’t play along. That doesn’t change the fact that you are being fair, and perhaps even generous!

May God Bless your business:thumbsup:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top