Penance and reparation for sterilization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeschoolDad

Administrator
Staff member
Let’s suppose a couple decides on sterilization, either for the man or for the woman (or hypothetically, for both). Then they become convicted in conscience that they have sinned. They go to confession.

The obligation to have the sterilization reversed, if indeed that is possible, then comes into play. Reversing a vasectomy is simpler and relatively non-invasive, and has few risks. However, it is not cheap — a few thousand dollars, which would be pocket change to a few, but a grave financial burden for others. Many would not be able to afford it.

Reversing a tubal ligation, though, is more complicated. It does involve cutting into the body cavity, even if done via laparoscopic surgery. It is not without risks, and it costs more than vasectomy reversal. Many would not be able to afford this either.

And add to this, it is not always medically possible to reverse a surgery such as this.

Is reversal mandatory, and under what circumstances?

And let’s take the simplest case: the couple can afford for the husband to have his vasectomy reversed.

Could this ever be, not necessarily a penance, but a condition for the “firm purpose of amendment” required for true repentance? In other words, you can afford it, and there’s a very high likelihood it can be reversed in this particular case. And as for the pain factor, well, you were willing to undergo the initial operation, so think of the pain as being something you can offer to Almighty God as a penance, not just for this sin, but for other unrelated sins you have committed. Pain and suffering need never be squandered.

And I have heard it said that some priests recommend mimicking the periodic continence which would exist if the couple had used NFP instead of sterilization, in effect “using NFP” even though it is not needed. What are we to think of this? Can a priest prescribe a practice over perhaps several years as part of the penance? Even if this is licit, I would think it would vary with the individual couple. I have also thought that having to live with the knowledge that you can never again have children (where reversal cannot be done) would be quite a penance in and of itself.

Thoughts from the forum?
 
There is no moral obligation to reverse a sterilization. Once it’s confessed, it’s confessed. It would be unduly burdensome for the priest to give a weighty penance as you propose.

-Fr ACEGC
 
There is no moral obligation to reverse a sterilization. Once it’s confessed, it’s confessed. It would be unduly burdensome for the priest to give a weighty penance as you propose.
Thank you, Father. I will give your answer great credence, as you are a priest and confessor.
 
This is what I was told as well when I had confessed my vasectomy a couple years ago.
 
Now one can get the vasectomy reversed if one wants and the circumstances are good, and it be meritorious. And if one wants to do that for ones own penance then it can be good if done with the right intention and circumstance. But as father said it’s not obligatory that I know of.
 
Last edited:
For those who choose to have a vasectomy, the knowledge that one can never have children is not much of a penance.
 
For those who choose to have a vasectomy, the knowledge that one can never have children is not much of a penance.
It could be if they became convicted of their sin, and then longed to be open to the new life that they can never have (if a reversal were impossible due to financial or medical considerations).
 
It was penance for me. Having a vasectomy was the worst decision of my life. Now, $12,000 later, I have two beautiful children so far. Throwing away my fertility when there are so many who long to have children but can’t is the most shameful thing I have ever done.
 
It was penance for me. Having a vasectomy was the worst decision of my life. Now, $12,000 later, I have two beautiful children so far. Throwing away my fertility when there are so many who long to have children but can’t is the most shameful thing I have ever done.
That would make a nice down payment on a halfway decent boat. But from one father to another, you are far better off with the kids. God bless you and your family.
 
For those who choose to have a vasectomy, the knowledge that one can never have children is not much of a penance.
Not in every case.
Sometimes folks change their mind.
I know a Protestant couple who had a vasectomy and changed their mind a few years later. They didn’t believe they had done anything morally wrong, but they decided they wanted more children and had a reversal done. It took a while to get pregnant afterward and they did regret the original vasectomy in the meantime…
 
I know a Protestant couple who had a vasectomy and changed their mind a few years later. They didn’t believe they had done anything morally wrong, but they decided they wanted more children and had a reversal done. It took a while to get pregnant afterward and they did regret the original vasectomy in the meantime…
It’s hard for me to stand back and say, but I think even if I were not a Catholic, I’d have to think, in the back of my mind, that there’s just something a little messed up about having a vasectomy or a tubal ligation.
 
I’m their case, they already had kids, and they were in bad economic straits, and the husband’s raggedy friends from work were giving him ideas.
Later on, they were in a much better place financially and also spiritually, and they rethought a bunch of things in their lives.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top