Penance/communion question

  • Thread starter Thread starter CarrieH
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CarrieH

Guest
One of the choir ladies asked me this today and I didn’t know the answer, so I thought I’d ask you folks. Here’s the story: she went to confession on her lunch break from work, but time was running short and she had to get back before she had time to say her penance. Next thing you know, it’s time for Mass but she hadn’t said her penance because she was practicing in the choir room until Mass began. So she didn’t go up for communion; better safe than sorry! But we were wondering: if you have gone to confession but haven’t yet said your penance, is it OK to receive communion anyway? Thanks and God bless!
 
Yes. The Prayer of Absolution allows one to receive the Eucharist. I was given a book to read for a penance ( no, I didn’t kill anyone :D) and I received before finishing the book. As long as the penance is done in a timely manner it has no bearing on receiving the Eucharist… teachccd 🙂
 
As teachccd notes, your sins are forgiven by the act of absolution. It is a new sin to deliberately neglect to perform the penance.

I have seen it stated that you should perform the penance before your next Confession. However, that is probably prudent advice rather than a strict rule. One should perform it as soon as comfortably possible lest on forget it, which could be sinful if one has delayed without sufficient reason.
 
One of the choir ladies asked me this today and I didn’t know the answer, so I thought I’d ask you folks. Here’s the story: she went to confession on her lunch break from work, but time was running short and she had to get back before she had time to say her penance. Next thing you know, it’s time for Mass but she hadn’t said her penance because she was practicing in the choir room until Mass began. So she didn’t go up for communion; better safe than sorry! But we were wondering: if you have gone to confession but haven’t yet said your penance, is it OK to receive communion anyway? Thanks and God bless!
Yeah, she received an absolution from the priest in confession
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top