Personality

• Thread starter Thread starter edwinG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
edwinG:
Hi,
Does picking up your cross involve a personality change.
Moses, David, Peter and Paul are interesting case studies.
Catholic would also have a rich history of their saints as well.
Christ be with you,
walk in love,http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif
edwinG
Only if your personality is causing you to fall into sin and to avoid your cross.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at Edwin. One could say any experience changes your personality, since your personality is in effect the culmination of all of your experiences along with your hereditary traits. Picking up your cross does not always include drastic changes in personality, but very minor changes, for example; I may have a weakness for sexual thoughts, upon reading about chastity and coming to an understanding of my sexuality in terms of God’s plan, I choose to reform my life and concentrate on changing my habits. This may include small things like saying a prayer, or reflecting on the Virgin Mary when I am tempted. This is picking up my personal cross but there is such a small change in personality. Over time however my personality will change because of my choice.
Picking up your cross does not always mean a drastic, noticeable change. Much of the time those around you won’t even notice.

40.png
Tom:
I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at Edwin. One could say any experience changes your personality, since your personality is in effect the culmination of all of your experiences along with your hereditary traits. Picking up your cross does not always include drastic changes in personality, but very minor changes, for example; I may have a weakness for sexual thoughts, upon reading about chastity and coming to an understanding of my sexuality in terms of God’s plan, I choose to reform my life and concentrate on changing my habits. This may include small things like saying a prayer, or reflecting on the Virgin Mary when I am tempted. This is picking up my personal cross but there is such a small change in personality. Over time however my personality will change because of my choice.
Picking up your cross does not always mean a drastic, noticeable change. Much of the time those around you won’t even notice.
Thank you Tom and Jimmy,
Christ be with you
walk in lovehttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif
edwinG

For me, taking up my cross, means denying myself and my will for that of God’s will. So, there was a change within my personality, but definitely for the better!

the wonderful child falls down into the dung-filled pile of muck: what is a parent(s) to do? do we take that child and give him/her a lobotomy so as to prevent any further failures? OR do we perhaps teach him/her the proper things and actions for existence, which he/she must follow in order to be happy; and in order for others to be happy too?

The Law of Love is happiness for everyone, because “we all love each other.” Hence, we must discipline ourselves; and conversely, so must those who love us discipline themselves.

The filth is harmful to health: let’s please learn how to avoid it, while still being the wonderful persons God created us to be. Let’s be ourselves, let’s be who we naturaly are: Saints. Sin isn’t natural.

I say we as Christians are learning how to walk–not how to cease to exist. Rebellion isn’t the only way to feel consciously alive!

You don’t need to change your personality. I also don’t think it would be so easy if at all possible. Your personality is how you operate, it’s not who you are. If you’re an extravert and decide you should be an introvert, good luck I think it would be very difficult. Habits need to change and they will if your heart is in the right place. We all have different personalities and none are better than anothers. These are part of our gifts.

Michael C:
You don’t need to change your personality. I also don’t think it would be so easy if at all possible. Your personality is how you operate, it’s not who you are. If you’re an extravert and decide you should be an introvert, good luck I think it would be very difficult. Habits need to change and they will if your heart is in the right place. We all have different personalities and none are better than anothers. These are part of our gifts.
HI Michael,
Yes it was on these lines I was thinking. I am not a psychologist so please excuse me where I err. Peter was an extrovert,did he change, Paul was a perfectionist, did he change, and the bible says that Moses was a most humble man, but something happened to Moses between his 40th and 80th year. I think , through his teachings he ( when he killed the Egyptian) was quite arrogrant, but when he came back he came back stuttering.( I think, the bible doesnt say so)
I feel in my own mind that Christ welcomes differing personalities. David was a cheeky extrovert and maybe tried to cross the line of reverence with God until Uzzah was struck and then David feared God.
These are the kind of experiences of which I ask. Does anyone know what happened to Moses, born beautiful, an orator ( I think) to his humble personnage when he led Israel.
Christ be with you
walk in lovehttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif
edwinG

40.png
edwinG:
I think , through his teachings he ( when he killed the Egyptian) was quite arrogrant, but when he came back he came back stuttering.( I think, the bible doesnt say so)
I feel in my own mind that Christ welcomes differing personalities. David was a cheeky extrovert and maybe tried to cross the line of reverence with God until Uzzah was struck and then David feared God.
I could somehow be wrong here… 😉 But I think neither arrogance nor humbleness are attributes of personality. To be “extrovert” (as I consider myself) isn’t necessarily the same thing as it is to be arrogant. Conversely, neither are introverts necessarily humble.

I’m no Psychologist either, but I’d say that these changes you’re referring to are not changes in personality; but rather, are learned behaviors, which perhaps were for them new ways of behaving which may have seemed to them something like this: “oh… well gee, it isn’t good to talk to God like this; and neither is it good for me to this, nor that…” They consciously chose their new bahavior (based on their desire to remain alive or happy), but their personality(s) I strongly suspect, does not change.

🙂 Yours in Christ,
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back