Pilgrimage?

• Thread starter Thread starter bordertown
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bordertown

Have you ever taken a pilgrimage to the Holy Land or to Rome or elsewhere?

I mean a trip strictly for religious reasons.

Should every Christian go to Jerusalem, Bethlehem etc at least once in their life?

Should every Catholic go to Rome at least once in their life?

I make a pilgrimage every year over Labor Day weekend to the Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at the Monastery of the Sisters of St. Basil the Great, Mt. St. Macrina in Uniontown, PA.:bowdown2:

I have been going since 1973 when I took my Baba. She had been going since it was started in the 1930’s. :yup:

It wouldn’t be Labor Day without the Pilgrimage.:nope:

I join with tens of thousands of other Byzantine Ruthenian Catholics that journey from all over the United States and Canada to attend this Pilgrimage.👋

Hope this helps…

Hello

I have done just that, Been to Rome in 2000, Medjugorje in 2003, Lourdes in 2004 and God Willing going back to Lourdes again this September.

It helps to regain the innerpeace, Innercalm etc.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.

I had gone to Israel in 1995… I visited most of the important places… Nazareth, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Bethlehem, Jericho, Acre, Golan Heights, Nablus (Shechem) and so on.

I would have to say that in Bethlehem I was surprised at just how tiny it was and was lucky enough to have gone inside the Church of the Nativity. It was too crowded to really get a moment of reflection and the fighting for space there by the different denominations was dismaying.

I was able to get acquainted with one of the oldest Christian families there who owned a Christian religious store called “The Seven Gates”. The owners, the Cannavati family told me that they were the descendants of some the Italian crusaders who had stayed behind and married the local women in Palestine.

The place where I felt the most at peace was Tiberias, especially at night.

In Nazareth the environment was very solemn and gloomy. To walk around there was a challenge since it is very hilly. Bought a nice pair of jeans at the local LEVI’s store there.lol

It is sort of strange to some, but, I found more enjoyment in talking to the local Palestinian Christians than visiting churches. It was very insightful to see their viewpoint on the situation in that part of the world.

In Jerusalem where I mainly stayed it was easy to get lost in the Old section of the city. The churches in the Christian quarter were very strict in not allowing any women to enter the churches without a head scarf.

Personally, I think I had a greater experience because I did not take package tour. I would hire for a day or two a guide for the more far off places and then wander around on my own.

The friendliest people I have ever come across regardless if Christian or Muslim are Palestinians…They will go out of their way to help you out.

One thing a pilgrim in Israel must get use to are the police who are armed with automatic rifles. Also, it is EXPENSIVE in Israel… For a hamburger with fries and a drink at your local McDonald’s be prepared to shell out at least $22.00 US! (=56 Shekels) 😮 Not that I would buy food there, but, just to give people an idea. Who knows maybe it is even more expensive now than when I went in 1995! Eggads…

Anybody looking to go into West Bank areas such as Bethlehem be prepared to go through military checkpoints. If you’re with a tour company passing is easy, but, IF you should be questioned by Israeli military… the less you say the better. They will scrutinize every word you say.

When going to Israel make sure you have an idea of where you are going to be staying. It will make it less of a headache and quicker as you go through security in Ben Gurion Airport and God help you if you forget which luggage you checked and which you carried on! They mark all your bags with red stickers written in Hebrew to know which ones you checked at the counter!

Don’t remove your stickers from your luggage! You are forewarned. lol

Anyway, those thinking of going… Enjoy and I envy you… I fell in love with the place and wished I could live their forever.

Opps… almost forgot… most people speak English…both Israeli and Palestinian. Don’t be surprised to hear people speaking in 4 or 5 languages as Israel is a tourist country.

God bless all

I have never been to Rome or to the Holy Land. I would love to go, but I have never had the money for long-distance travel, and I don’t know that I ever will (for me, a “pilgramage” is getting on a bus, and visiting a shrine in Canada. 🙂 ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back