T
tfischer101
Guest
Hello,
I just thought I would ask this question to the forum because it is something I have been thinking about for a while, and wanted to get other’s opinions on. It concerns the role of Pius XII in the second world war. Of course, there is the well known controversy of what he did or did not do with respect to the suffering of the Jewish people caught in the conflict. I am fairly well resolved that he did what he could, where he could. But what I would like to explore is the other side. My question is, what did or did he not do to help with the suffering of the Germans, and if this part of Pius XII’s history is not buried because it does not fit the popular narratives. For instance, the ariel bombardment war that Churchill oversaw was of course very brutal towards the Germans, often targeting family homes. Was there a statement about this? I know something was said about the atomic bombs over Japan as indiscriminately targeting civilians. But was there a statement about the attacks over Germany? The firebombing of Dresden, Cologne, and Hamburg are some of the worst that come to mind. Also, before the war broke out, I seem to recall reading somewhere once that the Catholic Bishops where united in an opinion that the city of Danzig should be returned by Poland to Germany. A peaceful resolution such as this would have averted the whole conflict. Is this buried history? Another item of interest is, was there a sympathy by the Church towards the German’s invasion of the Soviet Union? Contrary to the standard narrative, I have read that the Germans liberated churches and freed priests during the invasion of Russia. Finally, if that isn’t enough to chew on, at the end of the war, Germans were expelled by the Polish from their native lands. The numbers of people driven out were very large, and it amounted to the largest incident of ethnic cleansing to have ever taken place. Was the Church silent on this?
These are not “popular” topics, and not really something seen on the history channel, but it is history nonetheless. I am interested on what people have to say.
I just thought I would ask this question to the forum because it is something I have been thinking about for a while, and wanted to get other’s opinions on. It concerns the role of Pius XII in the second world war. Of course, there is the well known controversy of what he did or did not do with respect to the suffering of the Jewish people caught in the conflict. I am fairly well resolved that he did what he could, where he could. But what I would like to explore is the other side. My question is, what did or did he not do to help with the suffering of the Germans, and if this part of Pius XII’s history is not buried because it does not fit the popular narratives. For instance, the ariel bombardment war that Churchill oversaw was of course very brutal towards the Germans, often targeting family homes. Was there a statement about this? I know something was said about the atomic bombs over Japan as indiscriminately targeting civilians. But was there a statement about the attacks over Germany? The firebombing of Dresden, Cologne, and Hamburg are some of the worst that come to mind. Also, before the war broke out, I seem to recall reading somewhere once that the Catholic Bishops where united in an opinion that the city of Danzig should be returned by Poland to Germany. A peaceful resolution such as this would have averted the whole conflict. Is this buried history? Another item of interest is, was there a sympathy by the Church towards the German’s invasion of the Soviet Union? Contrary to the standard narrative, I have read that the Germans liberated churches and freed priests during the invasion of Russia. Finally, if that isn’t enough to chew on, at the end of the war, Germans were expelled by the Polish from their native lands. The numbers of people driven out were very large, and it amounted to the largest incident of ethnic cleansing to have ever taken place. Was the Church silent on this?
These are not “popular” topics, and not really something seen on the history channel, but it is history nonetheless. I am interested on what people have to say.