Places of Honor

• Thread starter Thread starter Fidelis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fidelis

I’m preparing a Bible study for this Sunday’s gospel reading (Luke 14:1, 7-14) where Jesus is at a Sabbath banquet and the other guests are jockeying for places of honor.

I’m looking for some background on this “places of honor” concept. Was it just these particular Jews, or was/is there some customary or cultural prescription for what seats were the most coveted and how it was determined who would sit where and why? I welcome your opinions and speculations, of course, but I really am looking for a reliable reference, either on-line or a recommended book or other source. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Good luck on your search. I have not found anything except that Jesus again is using a parable to teach about humility. There is an amusing sideline here. For years in many churches, pastors get very angry when everyone wants to sit in the back of the church. One pastor is known for saying, “Come early and get a back seat!” I guess these folks were justified all along in their humility. (Smile-Smile)

God bless,
Deacon Tony SFO

Now here’s a paradox, if people feel it is not humble to sit near their Lord at Mass but humble to sit at the back of the church and in their humbleness are now scrabbling to get the back seats (in their minds the best seats!!), I don’t see any humility in this at all!! It is the taking of what Jesus tried to show about not being proud and becoming humble too literally. I don’t think it matters where you sit. I used to think shrink away at the back of church and feel unworthy etc, but now I sit where I like because the Lord knows in my heart my humility, He isn’t looking where I sit in Mass. What He is looking at is that I neither credit myself in any place, no matter where I sit, I sit only by His grace and humbly do so wherever I sit. Forget the sitting and concentrate upon the Mass, forget the self and concentrate on the Lord.

This parable also speaks of esteem and not regarding yourself as more than you are and when you are a follower of Christ, you are to put yourself last, love God first and your brothers and sisters as second in par with yourself. It also says to me, that no human being is worthy of any seat of honour, as God loves us all, equally. He makes no first or last, but says those who make themselves first make themselves last and those who make themselves last will make themselves first by their charity, love and sacrifice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back