B
Bouligny
Guest
If we make a perfect act of contrition and then go to Communion right after, what other sins are forgiven in Communion?
If we make a perfect Act of Contrition all sins are forgiven, in communion only venial sins (the minor sort that don’t need confession) are forgiven.If we make a perfect act of contrition and then go to Communion right after, what other sins are forgiven in Communion?
Bouligny,If we make a perfect act of contrition and then go to Communion right after, what other sins are forgiven in Communion?
Well, only the sins that haven’t been confessed need forgiveness. Sins that have already been forgiven in confession don’t need repeated forgiveness, of course.I know that Communion forgives sins and so does the Sacrament of Penance. Does Holy Communion only forgive those sins that weren’t confessed? What does Holy Communion forgive if you confessed everything? Why go to Holy Communion if you have no need to have your sins forgiven? I guess we get strength not to sin in Holy Communion. I am just confused because they both forgive sins, and I don’t know what the difference is.
The Sacrament of Penance (Reconciliation, Confession) is the only ordinary means by which mortal (serious) sins can be forgiven. God can work outside the Sacrament when He wants to, but we are obliged to confess all mortal sins (unless it is impossible to do so), and it is the only way we can be ASSURED of God’s forgiveness. We can make an act of contrition; that is a good thing to do, but we must also go to confession if we have committed mortal sin.I know that Communion forgives sins and so does the Sacrament of Penance. Does Holy Communion only forgive those sins that weren’t confessed? What does Holy Communion forgive if you confessed everything? Why go to Holy Communion if you have no need to have your sins forgiven? I guess we get strength not to sin in Holy Communion. I am just confused because they both forgive sins, and I don’t know what the difference is.
Matthew 16:18-19, where Christ gave the Church the authority to decide these things:What is the Scripture basis for serious sins only being forgiven via Penance?
By the way, “What is the Scripture basis” for some people’s assertion that something is true only if it is found in Scripture?And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
2 Thessalonians 2:15 supports the authority of Sacred Tradition (the teachings of the Church that are handed down by means other than Scripture):There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written.
Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours.
Page 73 of Schieler’s ‘Theory and Practice of the Confessional’, on, describes in detail what it takes to make a perfect act of contrition and its effects.If we make a perfect act of contrition and then go to Communion right after, what other sins are forgiven in Communion?