Please help me, native Spanish-speakers!

• Thread starter Thread starter Joannes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joannes

Hello:

Here is an English prayer. My translation of it into Spanish appears right after it. I would appreciate it if some native speaker could check my translation for accuracy and tone.

Thanks,
John

ST. GABRIEL THE ARCHANGEL
Feast Day: September 29

O Blessed archangel Gabriel, we beseech thee to intercede for us at the throne of Divine Mercy in our present necessities, that, as you did announce to Mary the mystery of the Incarnation, so through your prayers and patronage in heaven we may obtain the benefits of the same, and sing the praise of God forever.

SAN GABRIEL EL ARCANGEL

Dia festal: el 29 septembre

O bendito arcángel Gabriel, te imploramos que en nuestras necesidades actuales intercedas para nosotros ante el trono de la Majestad divina, para que, como le anunciaste a Maria el misterio de la Incarnación, así através de tus oraciones y patrocinio en los cielos consigamos los beneficios del mismo, y alabemos a Diós para siempre.

I’m not a native speaker, but I’ve taken advanced translation courses at the university. It looks really good, so here are my corrections:

SAN GABRIEL EL ARCÁNGEL

Día festal: el 29 septiembre

O bendito arcángel Gabriel, te imploramos que en nuestras necesidades actuales intercedas para nosotros ante el trono de la Majestad divina, para que, como le anunciaste a Maria el misterio de la Incarnación, así por OR a causa de tus oraciones y patrocinio en el cielo consigamos los beneficios del mismo, y alabemos a Diós para siempre.

Mainly there’s just a couple spelling mistakes, and you have to decide whether you want to be literal with “heaven” or poetic with “heavens”. There’s a few other words that could be changed for literalness, but they just didn’t flow as well as I thought they would. Overall you did a very good job!

Hello RockAndHoops:

Thanks for your kind words, for looking over my translation and for your good suggestions, which I have incorporated.

I had suspected “atraves de” was wrong, but I never can remember to put in the accent marks.

BTW, for some reason I see that in error I had written “Majestad divina” though the English original says “Divine Mercy.” I have therefore changed it to “Misericordia divina” which is Latin, but I’m not sure if it is Spanish. What do you think?

Here is my corrected text:

**SAN GABRIEL EL ARCÁNGEL

*Día festal: el 29 septiembre

***O bendito arcángel Gabriel, te imploramos que en nuestras necesidades actuales intercedas para nosotros ante el trono de la Misericordia divina, para que, como le anunciaste a Maria el misterio de la Incarnación, así por tus oraciones y patrocinio en el cielo consigamos los beneficios del mismo, y alabemos a Diós para siempre

Regards,
John
40.png
RockAndHoops:
I’m not a native speaker, but I’ve taken advanced translation courses at the university. It looks really good, so here are my corrections:

SAN GABRIEL EL ARCÁNGEL

Día festal: el 29 septiembre

O bendito arcángel Gabriel, te imploramos que en nuestras necesidades actuales intercedas para nosotros ante el trono de la Majestad divina, para que, como le anunciaste a Maria el misterio de la Incarnación, así por OR a causa de tus oraciones y patrocinio en el cielo consigamos los beneficios del mismo, y alabemos a Diós para siempre.

Mainly there’s just a couple spelling mistakes, and you have to decide whether you want to be literal with “heaven” or poetic with “heavens”. There’s a few other words that could be changed for literalness, but they just didn’t flow as well as I thought they would. Overall you did a very good job!

40.png
Joannes:
Hello:

Here is an English prayer. My translation of it into Spanish appears right after it. I would appreciate it if some native speaker could check my translation for accuracy and tone.

Thanks,
John

ST. GABRIEL THE ARCHANGEL
Feast Day: September 29

O Blessed archangel Gabriel, we beseech thee to intercede for us at the throne of Divine Mercy in our present necessities, that, as you did announce to Mary the mystery of the Incarnation, so through your prayers and patronage in heaven we may obtain the benefits of the same, and sing the praise of God forever.

SAN GABRIEL EL ARCANGEL

Dia festal: el 29 septembre

O bendito arcángel Gabriel, te imploramos que en nuestras necesidades actuales intercedas para nosotros ante el trono de la Majestad divina, para que, como le anunciaste a Maria el misterio de la Incarnación, así através de tus oraciones y patrocinio en los cielos consigamos los beneficios del mismo, y alabemos a Diós para siempre.
San Gabriel Arcángel

Día festivo : 29 de septiembre

**Oh ** bendito arcángel Gabriel, te imploramos que intercedas por nosotros ante el trono de la majestad divina, por nuestras necesidades actuales, para que, así como anunciaste a María el misterio de la Encarnación , a través de tus oraciones e intercesión en el cielo , consigamos los beneficios del mismo, y alabemos a Dios por siempre.

Beautiful prayer 👍

patronage=patrocinio is literally correct, but in this context means something different

“en el cielo” o “en los cielos” it´s the same as noted in the above post. “En el cielo” is usually the most used, but both are correct.

I made some changes at the beggining that I think makes it a little easier to read, but your translation is basically correct and perfectly understandable.

Hope this helps :yup:

Yeah, “através” always gives me (and my profs) problems…it’s always a point of discussion! It means more like physically through, or crossing over, etc. As all my language professors have told me, prepositions are always troublesome!

As for Divine Mercy, I missed that one. Whoops! I checked a few resources and found that Misericordia is actually the word that is used for this phrase, so “Divine Mercy” is translated as “Misericordia Divina”.

God bless,
RockAndHoops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back