Poem about St. Joseph - need help finding

  • Thread starter Thread starter ahightower
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ahightower

Guest
Hi all,
I once read a poem about St. Joseph and why he was not present at the crucifixion. It talked about how he loved Jesus so much he could not have restrained himself and stood by silently as Mary did. It was really beautiful, I wanted to share it with some friends. I don’t mean to start a discussion about whether it was “good theology” :), just trying to track it down. I don’t remember the author, or where I saw it, as it’s been a couple years. Google is not helping, and I searched this forum as well. Does anyone know of it? Hoping it may have come up sometime last week around his feast day. Thanks in advance,
Andy
 
Joseph was dead when Jesus was crucified. Still I’d like to see that poem.
Here’s a good one about St. Joseph:

NAILS

By Father Leonard Feeney

Whenever the bright blue nails would drop
Down on the floor of his carpenter shop,
Saint Joseph, prince of carpenter men,
Would stoop to gather them up again;
For he feared for two little sandals sweet,
And very easy to pierce they were
As they pattered over the lumber there
And rode on two little sacred feet.

But alas, on a hill between Earth and Heaven
One day - two nails in a cross were driven,
And fastened it firm to the sacred feet
Where once rode two little sandals sweet;
And Christ and His mother looked off in death
Afar - to the valley of Nazareth,
Where the carpenter’s shop was spread with dust
And the little blue nails, all packed in rust,
Slept in a box on the window-sill;
And Joseph lay sleeping under the hill.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top