Poll: "Thee/Thou/Thy" or "You/You/Your"?

• Thread starter Thread starter StephanieC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StephanieC

Which form do you use to say the Rosary? If you’d care to share why, go right ahead!

I learned to say the Rosary (as an adult) listening to an early morning Catholic radio program. They used “thee/thou/thy,” and so that’s what stuck! “You/you/your” just rolls off my tongue wrong.

My husband (facetiously) says that it’s a good thing we both use the same form, or he wouldn’t have proposed! 😃

“Thee” is more accurate, as far as English goes. It used to be that “thee” was the second person singular, and “you” was the second person plural. Now it’s “you” and “you” (or y’all, where I live), which isn’t as easy. I guess I’m just a traditionalist.

THEE just comes naturaly,I still prefer the SHAKESPEREAN style of the english language in prayer & BIBLE readings.
(X-baptist)👍

I learned to pray the Rosary that way with “Thee”, and I enjoy the Old English in prayers as closer to the original meaning at times. Thanks and God Bless.

Sgt Sweaters said:
“Thee” is more accurate, as far as English goes. It used to be that “thee” was the second person singular, and “you” was the second person plural. Now it’s “you” and “you” (or y’all, where I live), which isn’t as easy. I guess I’m just a traditionalist.

Wow. I wish I learned this stuff. I use thee with others and you by myself. I prefer modern english except when I talk. Go gifure?:confused:

Sister Ann Michael thaught me to say Thee and I haven’t strayed.

I’m not choosy 😃 - so: thee, you, tu​

Vatican Radio broadcasts the Rosary in Italian

vaticanradio.org/inglese/enprolitur.htm

Note on Italian time (which is the reckoning used in that link):

Midday in Rome is 11 a.m in Greenwich Mean Time which is five hours later than Eastern Standard Time in the USA - so mid-day in Rome = 6 a.m. E.S.T. ##

Coming into the Church I learned thee listening to a children’s rosary CD.

I also learned “amongst” instead of “among” which is different than most of those I say the rosary with, but I can’t seem to make myself change just for those occasions.

I’m a thee thou, thy person when it comes to prayers.

When it comes to singing contemporary, you, you, and your is favoured :p!

I like the “Thee/Thou/Thy” I learned it that way, it flows and sounds better and gramatically it is correct. I would not be upset if someone else says it differently, but I would not remember to say it with you, even if I was forced…

I am a Thee/Thou/Thy person and yesterday at five pm mass, we were praying the rosary as a group and the lady who lead it was a You/You/Your person and it was driving me insane. I had never, ever heard it said any other way than what I new and was taught. I found it hard to focus on the mystery’s because of that. It was a good offering to offer up once I got thru arguing with my husband about it.

40.png
dsproule:
I am a Thee/Thou/Thy person and yesterday at five pm mass, we were praying the rosary as a group and the lady who lead it was a You/You/Your person and it was driving me insane. I had never, ever heard it said any other way than what I new and was taught. I found it hard to focus on the mystery’s because of that. It was a good offering to offer up once I got thru arguing with my husband about it.
I agree! When I hear it said a different way, it falls sort of hard against my ears. Doesn’t mean one is right or wrong, though…😉

40.png
dsproule:
the lady who lead it was a You/You/Your person and it was driving me insane…arguing with my husband about it.
For the record, I am also a “Thee/Thou/Thy” person.

However, the “argument” was about the woman’s right to use “You/You/Your”!

Michael

mostly because it’s easiest for a 2 yr old to repeat and a 4 yr old to remember and the older kids can pick up the Thees later.

Thee, thy, and thou are terms of endearment that we use with people with whom we are most intimate. And there is no one with whom we can be more intimate than with God, the Blessed Virgin, the angels, and the saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back