Pope Benedict XVI's Christmas Papal Blessing....a question

• Thread starter Thread starter Edwin1961
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edwin1961

I have a question about the Papal Blessing I just finished listening to on EWTN.

So just listening to this message, what is meant by the plenary indulgence that was spoken about byt he comentators just after Pope Benedict XVI had just finished.

I found it interesting that B16 stated that your sins are forgiven too. :confused:

I guess he can do this because he’s the Pope. :confused:

Does this still take in effect if you hear it more than once or does it only apply when it is only live and not taped?

It’s nice to know that my sins have been ‘forgiven’ by the Holy Pontiff as my Christmas present from him!

I believe a Plenary Indulgence removes the temporal effects of sins that have already been forgiven. Moreover, I think all of the conditions must be met in order to receive the Indulgence: Sacramental Confession, Receiving Holy Communion, Prayers for the Intention of the Supreme Pontiff (one Our Father and One Hail Mary) and “the big condition” … No attachment whatsoever to sin, even venial sin.

40.png
Seamus:
… No attachment whatsoever to sin, even venial sin.
Now that sounds close to impossible? :confused: I guess venial sins can be SO minute that I can’t imagine NO sinning except our Lord and His Mother!

Well, you don’t have to never sin again. You probably will. But at the moment you get the plenary indulgence, you must have no desire to sin in the future.

40.png
batteddy:
Well, you don’t have to never sin again. You probably will. But at the moment you get the plenary indulgence, you must have no desire to sin in the future.
Ok, I understand. I’ve had the desire not to sin for a while now. Yet it’s the venial sins that seem to creep up on me!

40.png
Edwin1961:
Now that sounds close to impossible? :confused: I guess venial sins can be SO minute that I can’t imagine NO sinning except our Lord and His Mother!
Venial sins are forgiven at Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back